Newbie in Renton, WA

11 Replies

Hi! My name is Renata McCulloch and I and my husband, Brad, are just starting out in real estate investing. We have 4 grown children and 7 grandchildren. Our experience in real estate so far has been buying houses to live in and fixing them up a little before selling them and moving on. My husband taught band in Western Kansas for many years and we moved around a lot.  We  were fortunate enough to always add a little extra value to come out okay on each transaction. We moved out to Washington when my husband made a career change. However, he has lost his job and in the midst of fixing up our house to put on the market, has discovered he enjoys doing this and sees the potential to secure our future in this business. We are interested in starting out wholesaling and eventually do some rehabbing. We are trying to educate ourselves before we jump too far in. We also need to start putting our team together. We are open to any suggestions and direction anyone can give us for our market.

Renata,

Welcome to BP.  You've found one of the best places to learn and grow through the journey you are headed down.  I can't give you any specific help on your market but I would encourage you to read through lots of the old threads on flipping here on BP and start to find people in your market who have done or are doing what you want to do.  Good luck.

Sounds like you are on a good path, get out there and meet other investors would be a next step. Seattleinvestorsclub.com, meetup.com, etc. Look for the group get togethers and attend those. REAPS, REIA, all meet monthly if not more often. Of course, BP is a great place to learn.

And certainly have a written plan with measurable goals and action items is a must.  Revisit this plan often, track your results, measure, adjust, repeat.  

Good luck and look forward to seeing  you at an event.  

Originally posted by @Renata McCulloch :

Shane H

We lived in Montezuma, Copeland, Scott City and last of all Hugoton before moving out here.

Familiar with all of those areas.  Spend quite a bit of time in the fall hunting Scott City and depending on past weather conditions near Garden City, especially fond of chasing after mule deer near the Monument Rocks area.  One of my favorite areas of the state.

Hey @Renata McCulloch . Good to have you joining the BP Seattle area community, welcome.

It sounds like you and your husband have some experience but need a little bit of help getting formally organized as wholesalers/flippers. I would recommend coming to the next local BP Meet-Up. We have one coming up in a couple weeks at the Ram by the UW. There is also typically one in Lakewood the first week of every month hosted by @Kevin C. , as well as one in Bellevue hosted by @Troy Fisher .

If you're interested in getting in touch with local wholesalers/flippers, let me know and I can put you in contact with a few folks. @Aaron Ramm and @Lori Valene are a couple of folks off the top of my head who are active wholesaler/flippers in the area. I would also be happy to recommend an agent or two if you're looking to start feeling out housing prices in a certain area.
Cheers!

Alex Chin, thank you so much for the invitation. We would like to come to one of these meetings and will be getting in touch with some of the folks you named. Everyone has been so great in making me feel welcome.

Renata, welcome to BiggerPockets!  I'm a few hours south of you, but lived in Federal Way years ago.

I'd recommend the podcasts and setting up key word alerts.  Also, to tag people and keep the conversation going, type @ and the first few letters of the name.  Watch the names pop up in the bottom corner and click the one you want.  And, above all else, stay active on the site to get the most out of it!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you