Excited New Member(s) from Washington

9 Replies

Hello, my name is Theresa (Tess) and my partner is Phil.

Let me start by saying I am not trying to steal any ideas from the tips on how to introduce yourself but we are honestly viewing our first property today at 4. I have to admit there are butterflies and a little question in the back of our minds asking if we are really ready to get started. The first step is a doozie!! Phil and I have no experience in Real Estate other then purchasing/selling/building our primary residence. I have a background in Interior Design that did not become my profession but taught me just enough to be dangerous as they say. :-) Phil has been in the construction industry his whole life, primarily single family homes and has recently transitioned into multi-unit residential developments. We have so much to learn and would welcome any and all encouraging words! We look forward to learning and growing in what feels like an exciting opportunity to become involved in wholesaling, flipping and rental property.

Welcome to BP!  Check out the podcast, the blogs, and the books.  Ask questions on the forums as you have them.

I'd suggest you pick one of the areas you mention (wholesaling, flipping, rentals) and study up.  When you say multi-unit residential, do you mean apartments?  Or just neighborhoods where he is building multiple single family houses?

Thanks for your input being new at  this which area would you start in wholesaling or Flipping. I have great knowledge in residential construction being residential superintendent for 22 years and growing up in the trade and working my dad building custom homes. I am currently supervising commercial apartment building in Tacoma Washington. 

@Theresa Krug - Welcome to BP and the Tacoma-area real estate investors community. With your team's background in construction and interior work, I would say you should look into flipping and if a deal comes along that you don't have the bandwidth for, you have the ability to wholesale it with a good estimate on rehab/renovation costs.

There should be an informal BP Meet-Up soon that I would recommend attending, they are a great way to network with other investors in a low-pressure atmosphere. Contact @Kevin C. for details of the Lakewood Meet-Up.

Theresa, welcome to BP!  I'm not very familiar with the Kitsap area, but my husband spent some growing up years there.

I'd encourage you to add a profile photo, set up keyword alerts, and stay active on the site.  So many newbies drift away.

That first step can be daunting, but sounds like both you and your partner have some great crossover skills.  If the numbers leave you some wiggle room to make some mistakes, at some point you have to just jump in and learn as you go.  There is a lot of great info on this site to hopefully make it a bit smoother.

Hi @Theresa Krug   Welcome to Bigger Pockets. Nice to see someone from Olalla. I have family out there and have spent some time there as well. You are in the right place here on Bigger Pockets. There is lots of great information and people here to help. I suggest you listen to the podcasts, set up some key word alerts and jump in on the forum. Also BP just started some online learning programs that are top notch. 

Also if you're interested, I host a Meetup group of local BP members in Lakewood on the third Monday of the month. Here is a link to our meetup page and we also post about them on BP.

http://www.meetup.com/PacificNWRealEstate/

I hope to see you and Phil at our next meeting and hear about your progress.

Thank you all for the welcoming comments!! There is so much great information on the BP site that I have been all over the past couple of days just trying to get familiar. Thank you to Alex Chin for recommending we connect with Kevin Carbon for the Meet Up group in Lakewood. I have signed up and we will aim for Oct. to make our first meeting. I have also signed up for the Webinar tomorrow hosed by Brandon Turner that targets Newbies like Phil and I with ideas on getting started so we are excited to watch and learn.

How do you get your mention of people in your post to go out to them? It looks like @their name. Do they have to be a connection?

Looking forward to the opportunity to meet some of you next month!!

Lovin' all this PNW sunshine!!

Theresa

Hey @Theresa Krug thanks for the shoutout and welcome to BiggerPockets! I'm glad you're attending the webinar. As for calling people in thread, you need to be colleagues with them before you could @ . However, you could already @? mention someone to call out people who responded to the thread already.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you