Newbie from Portland, OR.

8 Replies

I've been a mailman for 23 years but I've always had a love for real estate. I currently own 2 rental houses and a 6-plex which I bought about 10 or 11 years ago. I flipped 1 house and did a 1031 in 2006. I've been simply maintaining the properties for awhile, and at times hating being a landlord, because I haven't been treating it as a business. My wife and I also have 8 kids, from 22-9 which might explain some of my distraction:)

I'm now re-focused and ready to start turning my properties into cash cows so I can plow some money into more cash flow rentals.

I'm also seriously considering getting my real estate license in the next 6-12 months 

Hey @Don Frost  thanks for introducing yourself! It's great to have you here! Don't miss The BiggerPockets Podcast - they are great for learning how others are finding success.

Oh - and be sure to set up some Keyword Alerts- especially for "Portland" so you'll be notified when people mention it here in the forums.

Thanks again for introducing yourself!

Welcome to the BP family Dan you came to the right place to learn all about real estate investing! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best!  

Welcome! 

I think one of the benefits of you having been a mail man is that you know the areas/neighborhoods better than anyone else as you have driven by them so many times i'm sure. I think that is a huge advantage. 

Best of luck in your real estate ventures!

thank you for the welcome! I'm looking forward to interacting with fellow Rei enthusiasts.

I've been listening to the podcasts and loving it. 

You're right Luka, I have gotten to know my area pretty well. In fact I bought my first rental in 2003 when as a result of seeing a woman putting a FSBO sign in her yard as I was delivering her mail, we spoke for a minute and then after work we worked out a deal. :)

@Don Frost Welcome to BP, you've come to the right place for learning about pretty much anything related to real estate. 

I also suggest that you look into two of the more popular local real estate investment groups. Both Northwest REIA and Rarebird are attend by investors from very experienced to newbies. They are great for networking.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you