Young Real Estate investor

10 Replies

Hello everyone, my name is Joshua Whaley. I am a senior in high school. I have an interest in real estate investing and I would l want to learn as much as possible to be the most successful investor I can be. I look forward to my journey and talking with anyone that's willing to share any advise with me. Thanks for your time!

Hi @Joshua Whaley Welcome to BiggerPockets - it's great to see more folks deciding to get into REI!

I'd encourage you to reach out to more experienced investors in your area! There is no substitute for being physically present with experienced investors.

Let me know if you need any help finding other resources to help you get started!

Hi @Joshua Whaley , I'd also recommend getting involved in any local real estate investment associations (REIA) that are in your area. On top of that, make sure you subscribe to the Bigger Pockets podcast and listen to every single one of them. The information in there is totally free but the content is priceless. Nothing better than to learn and be inspired by others that are out there doing what you hope to do.

Thank you so much guys! I contacted a REIA group over the summer after seeing some posters around my area I live in Bolingbrook, Il. I have to wait until I turn 18 and then I will be able to join. I'm currently involved in programs like freedom mentor by Phil Pustejovsky and some rich dad poor dad content. I've also started a new reading regiment for 67 days. Thanks so much for the podcast info and I'll be sure to download the book on bigger pockets.

Joshua,

Welcome to BP and congrats on deciding to take control of your future with real estate investing. I grew up in Bolingbrook, so I may be able to help provide insight if you are looking to invest there and/or other SW burbs. I'm still new at this, but getting better every day. BP is a great place to learn, grow, and network. Reach out on the forums and/or as many people as possible to connect the dots in your mind. But also get out there and take action. We learn so much from doing, especially when we make mistakes! Translate your fears and apprehension into excitement about upcoming success! Best of luck!

Mike

Thanks Mike! Any advice or wisdom you could share would be great especially since you are familiar with the area. I want to be successful and financially independent and I know a career in real estate investing will attribute to my success.

Welcome to BP.  As a senior in high school a great way to start might be to get a job with an investor to help manage their properties and get a paid education.  I've seen members in your area post wanted job ads for just that thing both on here and on Craigslist.

Joshua

Things might go faster for you if you take a Real Estate course and

Join tour local Real Estate Investment Organization. You can find it

On the web or in the phone Book

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you