New Member from TN, Franklin and Columbia

13 Replies

Hi,

I'm Bryn Joynes, live in Franklin TN, but have some property in Columbia TN also. Looking to build a buy-and-hold rental portfolio along the I65 corridor south of Nashville, TN. Would start with SFH and work up with experience. Already own home, condo, medical building and warehouse.

Working towards my real estate license, with the intention of starting a property management company after three years.  Presently own a pest control company as well as a lawn maintenance business.

Looking to learn.

Thanks

Bryn

@Bryn Joynes - Welcome to the BP community.

You have a strong resume and no doubt excellent work ethic as described. It seems as if your day has 25 hours instead of the normal 24, with all these business ventures....lol.

Good luck and best wishes, we look forward to your interactions and insight regarding REI.

Welcome @Bryn Joynes

Fancy meeting you here. Maybe we can have lunch soon and discuss do's, dont's, and all the oops we've experienced. I'll call you soon. BiggerPockets has been an awesome resource for me and I'm sure you'll find it valuable as well.

Regards,

Jason

Welcome,

I am also in Franklin and work full time as a Paramedic for Williamson County. I have a rental condo here in Franklin and one in Green Hills. I am trying to grow my real estate business slowly as I am doing so with cash as a vehicle for retirement.

I was thinking about commercial real estate or a SFH for my next property. Anything where I don't deal with a HOA would add years to my life and take grey from my hair....

Hi Bryn,

Welcome to Bigger Pockets. I'm new here as well and live in the North Columbia/South Spring Hill area and my wife and I are realtors.

We have been working with some investors to locate properties and have been kicking around the property management idea as well. It gives us an extra stream of income as well as an additional pool of buyer leads to have access to.

You mentioned starting a property management company after three years. Is this a requirement by the state? I've been looking around for specifics about state requirements but haven't found anything yet.

Anyhow, great to see you on here and look forward to connecting in the future.

Welcome to BP, Bryn. This is an awesome community. I lived in Franklin for a year when I first moved to TN and absolutely loved it. I'm planning on moving back there as soon as I can. 

I would love to start investing in the Columbia/spring hill/ Thompson station area as property is much more affordable out there as compared to the Nashville area.

@Michael Julian HOA fees here are very steep for what you get and dealing with them is not always easy. My primary residence has a $90/year HOA fee (not bad at all), but the largest expense is listed as "management". Not sure where that money is going. A property I was interested in close to my house had a $200/month HOA fee and they were pulling in 500k/year in HOA fees but couldn't provide me with financial statements!

I think you can do well investing in Columbia and Thompson Station. Working for Williamson County Government, I can see which areas are growing and why. Spring Hill is the only area we do not service, as they are located in both Williamson and Maury Counties and pay a private agency for their EMS.

Williamson County, as you know draws a large number of new residents through their school system, and they spend 70% of their budget on schools, (Compared to 2.5% for Public Safety which includes my department, County Fire, Sheriff, Emergency Management, and the Jail)

The county will continue to grow and draw those from Nashville/ Davidson County and other surrounding Counties. The one thing that worries me about Spring Hill is the rapid growth has reached a point that the infrastructure can no longer handle the population. There are limited routes through the city and traffic is a nightmare. I would buy in Thompson Station first as it has not yet reached it's capacity for growth, but will still draw parents who want Williamson County Schools for their children. Property there will be scarce 10-15 years from now and it is ripe for long term investment!

@Ingrid J.  Thanks for the welcome I noticed from your profile you are from Norway, a country I visited back in the 80's during the summer solstice. Had a great time in Larvic, south of Oslo. Flew into Stavanger, and Bergen then drove across country. Wild to be throwing snow balls at midnight in the sun light. Best of luck with your goals, I look forward to following your success.

Bryn  

@Bryn Joynes How wonderful that you've seen many parts of Norway! I haven't been to Stavanger myself, but I've heard it's beautiful. Thank you. I will keep the BP community posted as soon as I close on my first deal next year. 

Welcome to BP @Bryn Joynes

As you are seeing, great people on here, and great tools and learning materials!

We live in Williamson County, but so far all of our investing is in Chattanooga and Rutherford County, but we are continuing to look at other areas nearby.  Williamson is just so expensive!

Good luck to you!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you