Newbie from San Diego

9 Replies

Greetings my name is Kevin and I am looking into to starting in real estate investing.  Starting with turnkey properties and learning the ropes eventually possibly branching out from there.  Always looking for good articles, forum posts, podcasts, and books to learn from.

@Kevin Wells

Welcome to BP! It's a great community here. You will gain a TON of knowledge and who knows - maybe you'll even find a partner or two.

Knowing that there is a resource available to me that offers advice on pretty much any REI question has been a huge benefit to me and my business.

Investing in multifamily properties by using as little of my own money as possible is my game. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you in your journey!

The best way to jump into buy and hold ownership is to target an owner occupied multi family home with an FHA loan - which means only 3.5% down payment. Send me a message if you want more details. : )

A

@Kevin Wells Welcome to BP. The forums and blogs are as good as gold. Researching the San Diego market and picking a niche will help accelerate your real estate investing success. There are also multiple REIA clubs throughout San Diego. Best of luck.

Thanks for the warm welcome I look forward to starting this journey and having a great resource as well as wonderful people to connect with.  This is by far the most active and helpful forum I have ever seen.

Hey Kevin,

Welcome to BP, I am also a newbie from San Diego.  You mentioned that you are looking for some good podcasts and books.  The podcasts on here have been a great resource for me.  I have no prior real estate experience but by just listening to the podcasts in the car has helped me gain knowledge in the various facets of real estate.  You should definitely check them out and they also give lots of book recommendations in the podcast that will keep you busy for a while.  I hope to see you more on the forums and best of luck.

Hello BP, I'm also a newbie and also from San Diego. What area of San Diego are you in/interested in? I've got a home in Tierrasanta and two condos downtown. 

Welcome fellow San Diegan! 

If you're looking for a podcast, I can't say enough good things about fellow BP member Joe Fairless'. His podcast has such great concise information about all niches of RE. 15-30 mins, can knock a bunch out throughout your day.

@Peter Payne

I am looking at investing outside of San Diego the market in San Diego is a little to volatile for me as a new investor.  I bought my house in so Cajon/la mesa area.  

Thanks for all the podcast suggestions they will keep me learning my 10+ hours a week on the roads. 

I'm done investing in new properties for a while, though one approach that seems like a winner is, look which currently "off" areas are undergoing gentrification, which you can see by tracking where the trendy bars flow. Some friends have done well following this.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you