LLC

3 Replies

I did not. I still have some properties in LLCs and some in my name. It really boils down to your risk tolerance. Much like insurance, an LLC will afford you peace of mind because it gives you more protection if established and run correctly. Will you need that protection, probably not, but your house probably won't burn down either and I am sure you are insured for that. Personally, I am a fan of the protection an LLC offers. I also believe that if you are running a business you should do it in a business entity. There are other benefits to having an LLC in terms of credit, credibility, etc.

An LLC does complicate matters though. Financing is different and you must look harder for it. Transferring properties after the fact likely violates the terms of your residential mortgage. They do cost money to set up and maintain, especially to do it right. If you don't do it right, you probably won't get the benefits that you were hoping to from it.

@Gabriel Reff Depending on the type of financing you qualify for you may want to use an LLC or Corp. I can not speak for a conventional bank. For private funding in most cases it is a business to business transaction. If you can not get financing through conventional methods you may want to think about holding your property in an LLC.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you