Motivated Newbie in a rural area

3 Replies

Hi there BP folks. I'm Josh and my wife and I just moved to the Rappahannock River area, specifically Saluda, VA this summer. We've been married three years now and are getting to that "start a family" point. I have zero experience in real estate but I'm very motivated to break the paycheck to paycheck mold and build a better life for my family. After much searching online I'm realizing how isolated we are and quite a distance from major cities. I was looking for a local real estate group and the nearest one is an hour plus from our house. Tricky part is I also work nights, I'm a chef, which is when the meetings are held. I guess my question is what advise would the community give for someone looking to find a mentor while living in a very rural area. I could ask the cornfields and cows if they have any REI experience but somehow I don't think I'll get many answers. Either way I'm just looking to learn and work hard at this. Thanks everyone and look forward to talking with you.

Originally posted by @Josh Miller :

Hi there BP folks. I'm Josh and my wife and I just moved to the Rappahannock River area, specifically Saluda, VA this summer. We've been married three years now and are getting to that "start a family" point. I have zero experience in real estate but I'm very motivated to break the paycheck to paycheck mold and build a better life for my family. After much searching online I'm realizing how isolated we are and quite a distance from major cities. I was looking for a local real estate group and the nearest one is an hour plus from our house. Tricky part is I also work nights, I'm a chef, which is when the meetings are held. I guess my question is what advise would the community give for someone looking to find a mentor while living in a very rural area. I could ask the cornfields and cows if they have any REI experience but somehow I don't think I'll get many answers. Either way I'm just looking to learn and work hard at this. Thanks everyone and look forward to talking with you.

Hi Josh. Check online to see if the closest real estate group has an online membership group, then join it if possible. Look under 'network' on this platform for larger cities near your home. You may find re investors near by your town. Communicate often. Increase your real estate education by navigating this platform. Search key words & phrases online to study concerning real estate. Note: Real estate investing has many angles. Choose an investing strategy, then learn the steps that you need to know to accomplish it. This will help you stay outside of the analysis paralysis zone. You will never know everything there is to know about investing, because things are constantly changing. If you have a Facebook account, try looking for real estate groups on there to join. Cody Sperber is an individual that you should research to see if his automation process & mentorship fits your personal goals for real estate investing. If money is a variable with starting real estate investing, Find methods to invest that minimizes your costs. Above all, use the grocery store analogy; and 'take in' the information that you find useful_learn it; and let other information 'stay' where you found it_forget it. Congrats on getting started! Keep Taking Action Each Day.

Anthony

Hi @Josh Miller 

I think that mentors can be an incredible blessing to investors - I've been really lucky and have had some great ones myself.

It seems that a lot of folks have some difficulty in finding mentors - it makes sense because it's such an important relationship that can shape your career.

Let me know if you think that "The Ultimate Guide to Finding Incredible Mentors" might help you in your real estate investing journey!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you