New from New Mexico

13 Replies

Hi, my name is Delany and I am just staring in realestate. I grew up in Alaska, but I train horses and the conditions just aren't great for outside work year round, so I moved to the states. I have seen information on bigger pockets but haven't really stopped to check it out until I watched a webinar today. I am looking forward to supplementing my income and creating a financial free lifestyle for me and my new husband(we got married 3 months ago) 💒. Anyways I have taken some investing classes through Rich dad Poor dad, am starting to build my team, am now looking for a mentor, and I can't wait to get started!!! 

Hey @Delany Olson

Welcome to Bigger Pockets and congratulations on your marriage!

May I ask what area of real estate you are interested in? My company deals with rural land investment and we own several parcels in New Mexico. We have actually dealt with several people that own horses too!

Whatever area of real estate you are interested in, you will find plenty of information about it here on the site. If you haven't already, go check out the Bigger Pockets Podcast. There is tons of valuable information there at your disposal.

Best of luck to you and your husband Delany!

-Kyle

Thank you 😊 yes I think this websites will be instrumental with networking and learning more.

I would like to learn more on wholesale, buy and hold for long term(on mutlifamily) and lease options. As much as I enjoy horses I am not interested in rural land, I am looking to build a passive income portfolio. 

Hi @Delany Olson, you definitely have the right frame of mind in seeking a mentor - a seasoned local investor can be invaluable in helping you learn the tricks of the trade here.

I definitely struggled to find some great mentors myself, however, and I think that my experience could perhaps be of value to you!

In case you are interested - I wrote about my experience finding mentors in this "Ultimate Guide to Finding Incredible Mentors" - I hope that it helps you with your search!

@Delany Olson

Hey Delany,

Great to meet you on here! Rental real estate is my game... Is there anything I can do to assist you with your real estate goals? What is the biggest thing holding you back from achieving your ideal life?

: ) A

Thank you @Scott Trench  the article was very helpful, and I appreciate the offer, that was very kind of you. 

Nice to meet you as well @Ricco R. , I really would like to find people here in New Mexico who are like-minded to start networking with as well as to build a support group, I know there is a investors club in Abq (don't know if you know about it) that meets the 3rd wk of every month I haven't made up to one yet, have you ever attended it?

@Ashley Wishinski

I would have to say the only thing holding me back is lending, I am only 24(still building good credit) I don't have a normal job, I train horses and give lessons so I am  self employed, not something traditional lenders are to crazy about I have found out. Anyways so I am trying to learn more about creative financing. 2 books I have read have advised to start with wholesaleing. It would alow me to get my feet wet so to speak without having to hold a property for rehab. But I have also been learning about lease options and I really like how those sound. 

I'm just really new to all of this mostly just been absorbing as much as I can for the last few months and I am normally one who likes to know every possibilitie before jumping. 

@Delany Olson,

Welcome to BP! I'm also from ABQ and share the same goals as yourself.  I have attended one NMREIA group here in ABQ and met some great people.  I am barely starting to network myself and have found it to be very beneficial.  Keep on networking and it is amazing how many great people are out there ready and willing to lend a helping hand. 

I am always open to having lunch or coffee with fellow, local investors.  Try and do the same and you will not be disappointed! 

Jeremy

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you