New Member in RI / MA

1 Reply

Hi All,

I am excited to have joined BP and can't wait to see all that it has to offer. While I do not have any experience in REI, I am extremly interested in building knowledge so that I can get started sooner rather than later.

I currently live in RI but work in Boston,MA. I do not own a home right now, and thought that investing in a property in a commuter location would be a good way to start growing my assets, while easing the commute a bit. I have been thinking about Attleboro (but am open to other locations), somewhere within walking distance to the train station. I would either like to find a single family to live in and fix up short term (rent or sell afterwards), or a duplex along the same lines. If this initial project works out, I would like to continue investing for the long term. 

I am wide open to tips and suggestions for getting started; especially in relation to picking the best market, as well as finding an ideal first property. 

Thanks!

Katelyn

Welcome Katelyn. You are going to love it here!  Best real estate forum on the interwebs. :-)

I would start with looking in an area that seems to show a steady increase in property values as well as the number of homes being sold per quarter in the area.

You can do some quick research on sites like http://city-data.com  To give you some ideas of good markets near you.

Good luck

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you