Just joined from Saint Pete Florida

11 Replies

Hi all

I am Jen, and I am interested in buying distressed properties and working with my rehab team to flip them. If I start small, I can actually pay cash for them and put the reno on credit. I have no clue where to start, need to form my business along with my partner who is a contractor. Bank of America has offered to work with me on this endeavor because I have been a long time customer and my credit is excellent. My Dad (pictured) just passed away and I have sold our home, purchased a condo and am in the process of renovations on it. I plan on working on the properties alongside the contractor, learning the business "hands on". Although I am a medical professional, I have had enough of stress and this type of work seems to be what makes me happy. I truly need advice on all aspects of this. I have a friend who is an agent here, I have Lowe's willing to do Q bids, and a certain amount of cash that I want to invest to start. I want to form an LLC named after my daughter who passed away, making my contractor a partner as he has no capital of his own although he has all the tools, truck etc. I have an eye for not only decorating but designing and enjoy doing painting and flooring. I plan to upgrade to Pro if I determine this site to be helpful.

Jenet,

Welcome to Bigger pockets!  I am always interested in seeing where people may need help here in FL with their projects.  I have a decent network of people I can reach out to to help you expand.  Please feel free to reach out and connect with me.  I travel to Tampa/ St. Pete/ Land-O-Lakes area often so we could even set up a meeting.  My contact information is on my profile!  Hope to hear from you soon!

@Jenet Christiansen

Welcome to the BP community, where you will find like minded individuals committed to REI and also helping others succeed.

I am very sorry to hear that your dad an daughter passed.

You mentioned a desire to form a LLC and as such I added a link for your review.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/rei/real-estate-corporation-llc/ (Business structure LLC and Corp info)

Your time on this social media site will be well spent.

You have taken the 1st step by announcing your readiness and commitment to embark on a REI career.

Whether you pursue, wholesale, rehab & fIip or buy and hold it's up to you to decide.

The bottom line is that you must take action to start.

Don't get bogged down with analysis paralysis. You must take risks, but, ensure that they are calculated risks.

Below are some links to get you started.

https://www.udemy.com/biggerpockets-real-estate-investing-course/ (video with 64 lectures and approx 6hrs of material)

https://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing (Ultimate beginner's guide to REI)

REI books suggested by BPers

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/11/13/7-real-estate-books-beginner-investors/ (7 absolute must read books for beginner REIs)

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/04/14/best-real-estate-books/?utm_source=search&utm_medium=internal&utm_campaign=books (books recommended by BPers)

Before making your 1st REI purchase please visit the link below for some useful tips

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/12/19/real-estate-investing-success-smart-tips/

Simply, bone up on the areas that you need to expand knowledge in such as, Forums, Marketplace, Learn, Network, Analyze and Resources.

Feast on the Podcasts, #askbp Podcasts, blogs and webinars

Lastly, this site thrives on interactions and as such we encourage two way exchanges and look forward to educational and thought provoking ideas relevant to REI.

Welcome Jen,

You will find a lot of helpful information here. I'm also based in Tampa Bay Area and there is a lot of opportunity in Pinellas county. If you have any questions feel free to reach out.

Nicole Henry, Realtor

Hi Jen,

I am in Vermont doing the same now, and hope to get involved in the ST.Pete clearwater area within a few years. PB and been a pretty great resource so far, I've been a landlord for many years, and BP has encouraged me to take it more seriously and make it my business. 

Welcome Jenet - We are so glad you joined BP because there is so much feedback from everyone.  You can search keywords for anything you want to find here.  My husband and I are also fix and flip people and are constantly looking for properties ourselves.   But from time to time we have someone who wants to sell their distressed property in an area not close to us.  If you like, we can put you on our buyer's list should that take place.  Just email us.  And you can always let BP people know when you have a house rehabbed & ready to sell.  We're all here to help you!  Best Success, Rhona

Wow! I am busy working on my own reno and didn't get to see this! Great!! Thanks so much for all of the links Linval T!!! I will try to sit down this weekend and read through some of this stuff. 

Welcome to BP. Make sure to take advantage of all the podcasts, forums and free resources. Also, TBRIEA has local meet other local investors.

Hi Jen. I have been buying and flipping house for sometime now all in NJ. I am currently looking to get started in the St Pete area. I GC all my projects. I am looking to get my foot in the door on that area, maybe we can work together if interested.

Originally posted by @Vincent Matraxia :

Hi Jen. I have been buying and flipping house for sometime now all in NJ. I am currently looking to get started in the St Pete area. I GC all my projects. I am looking to get my foot in the door on that area, maybe we can work together if interested.

Hello Vincent, I would definitely like to talk to you.  Please feel free to contact me.  My information is in my profile page.  Have a great one!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you