New Member In Boone NC

6 Replies

Hi, I'm Jordan Eggen.  I moved to Boone NC in June of 2015 to pursue a career with The MoutnainTimes as a marketing consultant.  A family member, who has a few rental properties, turned me onto this site last weekend.  I'm currently focused on self educating, learning my surrounding markets and ultimately owning/flipping/renting properties.  My plan is to purchase my first property when my lease is up in June of 2016.  Is this too ambitious?  I'm reading the UBG currently and listening to the BP podcast daily.  I think a multi family home may be the best starting point for me.  I'm thankful to be here and hope to hear from other members soon.  Please feel free to reach out, especially if you are in my area.  I'm completely new to the beast of real estate investing and any pointers will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jordan

Jordan, as Ned notes, if you have the credit and down payment, the energy and interest, and have some background, you may be ready... You may want to decide between the more steady buy and hold or the faster pace flip to help pick a property and strategy...perhaps a full flip book like those on BP if that is the course and I have some low cost or free (at library) books on landlording if that is the next stop,in journey (see the blog post "classics of lanldord lit" on my profile)...BP has calculators for both strategies....

Thanks for taking time to respond guys.  I'll keep soaking up everything I can on BP.

So I've read a few things about getting started.  I want to use my network to help get my plans off the ground.  A friend of the family does contracting work.  He has 25+ years of experience and we get along very well.  About a year ago he mentioned getting started flipping some properties.  I didn't think much of it then but now I'm more than interested.  I'll will be the one doing the house hunting and putting money down and he would be in charge of rehab.  Whats the best way to make it mutually beneficial for us to partner together?   How is the best way to split the money after the property has been rehabed and sold?

Thanks,

Jordan

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you