New member from Denver

11 Replies

Hello all,

My name is Tori Hall, I am seeking to have freedom and walk away from my job. I am currently a corporate accountant in the oil industry. I am working at least 70 hours a week and as you can imagine I am not satisfied in my current field.

I'm interested in Buy and Hold, Flipping, and I am even open to the idea of having rental properties. I am completely new to this industry so I open and more than willing to learn ideas on how to get started and meet some great mentors or even investors. I am eager to meet some great people while on BP and maybe even gain a mentor. I want to start maximizing my time and money and I think real estate is the best avenue.

I look forward to interacting with everyone on BP.

Hi @Tori Hall, I cross paths with many of the oil and gas folks in Colorado. It sounds like it might be a good time to think of a way to transition out of that industry here. Good luck!

there are great forums and blogs on all that and more here, Tori! Welcome...

You really highlighted some of the major strategies and much of the info on BP focuses on some of these angles (flip versus buy and hold etc) but also lots of general info and overlap. 

Also, you hit at the classic day job issue which has two camps, too...ironically, your day job may help you launch away from it (as banks like a strong, steady w2 like yours to make loans), so that can be part of your real estate plan, too.. Best of luck!

Welcome to BP, @Tori Hall

I'd encourage you to reach out to more experienced investors in your area! There is no substitute for being physically present with experienced investors.

I'm always happy to help point you in the right direction for resources or tools on BiggerPockets that can help you with your REI goals!

welcome @Tori Hall getting active on BP is a great way to start moving towards your goals. I have a few Schlumberger clients and I know how hard you guys work...and I'm always amazed at how few people are putting their money to work in real estate so they don't have to keep those hours forever! If you're in a position that moves locations it definitely adds challenges but doesn't have to stop you. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you