New Investor from Los Angeles, CA

8 Replies

Hey BP Community ,

My name's Gabrielle, I'm 25 years old and new to the REI community (have not invested yet). I currently live in Los Angeles, but grew up in NorCal (Stockton & Oakland) and attended Howard University in DC. I currently work full time for the Dodgers and Lakers TV network as a Coordinator.

My interest lies in purchasing multifamily rentals for passive income. I'd also like to wholesale and rehab properties. I understand LA is a tough area but I know its not impossible to succeed in this market. 

I'm looking forward to learning from this community and hopefully contributing more and more down the road.

- G

Thanks @David Tipton ! I'll introduce myself in that thread as well. If i wasnt working I'd be at that meetup right now.

The areas I find myself focusing on in SoCal are Long Beach and the Greater Los Angeles Area. But I have a feeling there are easier markets in the outskirts I need to look into.

I'm also interested in the San Joaquin County area (Stockton, Lodi, Modesto) because I grew up there and have family members there who could potentially help.

Don't involve family in business. It will usually end up ugly for one party, either you or them. Try not to be emotional about it. If you meant some family member who could view, go here, go there, do this, do that, they will usually end up that you owe them more than if in case you pay someone do it for you:.

Hi Gabrielle,

Welcome to BP, this is a great website and resource for all types of real estate investing.

I always recommend these 3 things to people beginning in Real Estate Investing:

1) Do a lot of research here

2) Do not spend a lot of money with coaches, it would be much better to put that money to work and learn from experience, I'm not against coaches or education, but you need to be careful as there are some that are really bad

3) There are many real estate clubs out there, visit them, select your favorites and meet other investors working your area. You can find info on clubs here and also you can look at meetup.com. Networking is key to success.

Cheers! see you around...

Originally posted by @Juan Carlos Quiroz Zolezzi :

Hi Gabrielle,

Welcome to BP, this is a great website and resource for all types of real estate investing.

I always recommend these 3 things to people beginning in Real Estate Investing:

1) Do a lot of research here

2) Do not spend a lot of money with coaches, it would be much better to put that money to work and learn from experience, I'm not against coaches or education, but you need to be careful as there are some that are really bad

3) There are many real estate clubs out there, visit them, select your favorites and meet other investors working your area. You can find info on clubs here and also you can look at meetup.com. Networking is key to success.

Cheers! see you around...

This is great advice and I agree. I recently went to a Fortune Builders seminar and my gut told me theres gotta be other options for education other than paying 30k for a coach and "voila!" I found BP. 

Thanks for tips.

- G

Same here on Fortune Builders.  I saved my money by not giving it to Fortune Builders and found out what fortune builders uses is in the books that I have been reading. 

Hello Gabrielle,

Welcome to BP, my name is Jerome and I'm an investor who lives in the Baldwin Hills. I would highly recommend you taking an investment real estate class at Cerritos College. The class is real estate 157 it's an 18 week course that is based upon application not just rote memory, and it cost just under $160. Professor Hill's academic experience is from Howard undergrad and an MBA from Wharton in real estate finance. Professionally, experienced in analysis/purchase of residential and commercial property.

Good Luck

Jerome Wiley

I also post real estate and  finance articles on my facebook page I'll send you a friend request.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you