Help on Buying a Vacant Property in Atlanta!

4 Replies

Hello Bigger Pockets,

I am a newbie to the real estate game. I live in Atlanta and I came across a vacant multi-family home. I want to contact the current owners about purchasing the property. I contacted the county using the address but was not given much help. 

Could anyone give me a few tips on where to start looking to find the owner?

If the property is in city limits then you need to go to the city assessor website. If not check the county's website online.

If the property tax record shows a corporation then you need to go to the GA secretary of state website and look up the officer for the corporation to contact. Sometimes the corporation is private and an attorney filed the starting and ongoing renewals. You then contact the attorney to find out who the owner is and if they want to sell.

Another strategy is to look up deeds and records online and find a copy of the deed. See who signed the paperwork.

The tax record generally lists the mailing address. If the same as physical address then likely an owner lives in one of the units. If mailing address for tax is different then you need to focus on that address and name listed for more information. 

Joel Owens (above) has great insights into how to do it..

In Florida we also have an additional method. We can go to the county property appraiser's website, look up a home by address, and it will show in the record where the property tax bill gets mailed.

Florida has a lot of absentee owners from out of the Country, so it helps.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you