Just getting started in real estate

7 Replies

Hello everyone. I'm Just getting started in real estate  and I start school on January 12th to become a licensed realtor. My question is, what additional education should I seek to help assist me in obtaining my license while  attending school. Thank you very much for your replies

Hello Wayne,

I'm new here and just ran across your post.  I guess I would just check out Amazon or someplace like that for some books that seem relevant and interesting to any specific real estate topics you may find of interest (flipping, rental properties, farmland investing, etc.,)  While these books may not really guide you to getting a license -- so I guess I'm not specifically answering your question -- they will broaden your real estate field of knowledge and should help you in your career in the long run.

Other than that -- study, study, study the licensing materials!

Best of luck.....!

Rich W.

@Wayne Baldwin

Welcome to BP. Focus on the school material, as the State exam will not deviate much from your training.

Additionally, I see the below book on Amazon that you can explore as well.

http://www.amazon.com/2016-Jersey-Estate-Questions...

Good luck with your studies and exams.

Originally posted by @Rich Waite :

Hello Wayne,

I'm new here and just ran across your post.  I guess I would just check out Amazon or someplace like that for some books that seem relevant and interesting to any specific real estate topics you may find of interest (flipping, rental properties, farmland investing, etc.,)  While these books may not really guide you to getting a license -- so I guess I'm not specifically answering your question -- they will broaden your real estate field of knowledge and should help you in your career in the long run.

Other than that -- study, study, study the licensing materials!

Best of luck.....!

Rich W.

Will do rich thank you, I really appreciate the input good fella 

Originally posted by @Wayne Baldwin :

Hello everyone. I'm Just getting started in real estate  and I start school on January 12th to become a licensed realtor. My question is, what additional education should I seek to help assist me in obtaining my license while  attending school. Thank you very much for your replies

Hello and welcome!  You are in a good place to get further education.  I am 59 years old and I found BP about 4 months ago and I am still learning.  It is good that you are getting a license.  I hope that you get and do well by it.  I graduated and got a business degree with an emphasis on real estate.  I got that degree and a broker license in 1980.  At that time you could get that broker license without having a sales license first.  Regardless of that degree I felt moe comfortable in construction.  I have been in the construction business since I was 17.  If you think that I might be able to help you please contact me at any time.  Besides this website, just pay good attention to your teacher and take lots of notes.  Good luck!

Hi Wayne. Thank you for introducing yourself. I'm an investor and mentor/coach. It's always nice to meet new members. Feel free to ask me investing questions anytime. I will answer in detail. Happy to help.

Originally posted by @Lori Greene :

Hi Wayne. Thank you for introducing yourself. I'm an investor and mentor/coach. It's always nice to meet new members. Feel free to ask me investing questions anytime. I will answer in detail. Happy to help.

Hello Ms. Greene. Thank you for reaching out to me. I am looking for someone to mentor me in wholesaling. I'm looking to focus on probate list wholesaling. Do you have any info that could help me out with that as far as what contracts I need and clauses to protect me and also how to fill them out.  

Thank you so much 

Hi Wayne, my best advice for probates is to work with a probate attorney to make sure all of the proper contracts and legalities are being used. I don't buy a lot of probates but if I were, I would have one probate attorney who represents me and use a bunch of others to find those deals through. The attorney who represents the Seller would have a conflict of interest by implying they represent you too and you may be not fully protected. Once, early on in my investing career, I let the Seller's agent be my Buyer's agent too. But his only interest was making a double commission for the biggest sale price he could get. Always have your own representation.

Next, use Bigger Pockets to find as many local probate attorney's as you can. Make a list of questions to ask them (or their assistant) and interview them. Each time you interview one, you will think of more questions to ask them, so keep adding to and adjusting your list of questions. Before long, you will know a lot about how the whole process works and who you feel comfortable working with.

Also, post in the forums here to ask everyone on Bigger Pockets about their experiences in probate and learn from them too. People here love to share.

If you want to know more, feel free to email me. Me email address should be listed on my profile. I'm happy to help.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you