Vancouver Investor looking for like minded people!

13 Replies

Hey everyone,

I've been on BP for a few weeks now so I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Matthew and I'm an investor based out of Vancouver BC. I have to say, this forum is amazing.. I am learning so much and feeling so inspired lately just by interacting with ppl on BP! I have a few flips under my belt, own three rental properties and currently working on a flip here in Vancouver. I have reached out to a few people on BP and made some amazing connections and hope to continue doing the same! 

Any other like minded people in Vancouver or anywhere for that matter that want to talk RE or join forces, by all means say hello!  I would love to share RE stories or help in any way I can :)

Cheers

Matt

@Matthew Miri

Hello from the other coast and Welcome to BP!

You are playing in an expensive sandbox, good to hear it is working out of you.

There are several active BP members in the Vancouver area and a couple more across the strait on the island.   I also believe some of them have {semi}regular meetups, perhaps @Shahriar K. would have more information on that.

Hi Matt,

I'm also in Surrey. The Lower Mainland is challenging. I'm interested to know about your flipping experience here. I've seen a handful of houses worth flipping but not much. It's mainly a land play in BC it seems, so it's more cost-effective to do tear-downs in a lot of spots. Can multi-family units be flipped I wonder?

@Peter Crisp

@Shahriar K.

@Roy N.

Hey guys thanks for the warm welcome..You're all correct, the market here is very challenging. I don't have too much experience with multifamily but would love to hear any thoughts on that strategy in our neck of the woods. Building is something Ill be diving into pretty soon here Peter. Never done a development before but the numbers make sense so I'm taking a stab at it! Roy says you host meetups Shahriar? I would definitely be interested to meet up and talk RE. 

Let us know when the next meet is!

Happy New Year

Matthew,

Nice to meet you here. I too am from Canada, spending the last part of 2015 in Vancouver. Have been investing in the U.S. market. Yes very high prices and hard to cash flow properties in your area.

Good luck

Hey guys

as multi family goes I haven't dealt with any I just have a rental on my own property. What I have seen and stories I have been told is there is money to be made since there are lots of rich people that are looking to invest in fully performing properties. There was a story about a complex on Main st. that new owners bought fully renovated the complex and the rents have gone from $750 a month to close too $2000 price range. I myself am keeping an eye in Okanagan area for multi as I think there will be more and more baby boomers moving down that way.  The other thing is as long as you have the %20 down getting a mortgage isn't that hard on multis.

The meetup is called Synergy Real Estate Investment Network and @Marc Ramsay is one of the guys who runs it, it is always held in Surrey, but there is another that Marc mentioned which is held in Downtown Vancouver.

Matthew/All,

I like what I'm hearing and I'll look for the next meeting in Surrey. I've got enough exposure in BC right now, but I can provide eyeballs locally to like-minded people just for fun and networking. I've seen a handful of SFR properties in Surrey that were good flips over the past 3 years. The Okanogan makes sense, since Calgary oil money is quiet right now, and Victoria and Nanaimo have always interested me because I suspect that more retirees are heading that way.

Hey @Matthew Miri , welcome!

I'm from Victoria - (but my real estate journey has for the time being taken me to Tacoma. I was finding it challenging to do my first deal in Vic. After being south of the border I can say it's a whole different ball game down here- but I digress.) That that's not to say it can't be done here, a guy I met (@Max Shepherdson ) did a wholesale deal in Victoria this fall and said it worked out very well. When I was looking locally, I found Nanaimo to be much more affordable with better rent/price ratios. A great guy to contact is @Tom Stromar if you are interested in the market in Nanaimo. And @Peter Crisp you are correct: there already are many retirees moving here (Vic/Van Isl) so this is already a well established trend! I met with a local investor who was taking advantage of this trend and the super low vancancy rates in Victoria: she and team had just built a 20-unit apartment in Langford: her team designed it with the needs and desires of retirees in mind and it was a huge hit, with it being nearly all rented out when I toured it (and it was still under construction!). They were finding many older people wanted a place with less maintenance, were downsizing, etc. so their attention to the demographic trends and market demands really payed off for them. :) Good luck on your journey and keep us updated!

Hi guys, I'm new to BP but would love to meetup with one or several one of you.  Hopefully a local meetup can be arranged soon.  Looking forward to more conversations with everyone!

XT

hello all, I am on Vancouver Island in Duncan (little town in between Victoria and Nanaimo). I am currently working at getting my real estate license and am almost there. I stumbled onto Bigger pockets and am so happy I did! My husband and I have wanted to get into RE investment forever it seems but never seem to have the extra cash to get started. There is so much great info here - but how does one get going? I believe the Island has a lot of potential as lots of people are moving here to live and purchasing vacation properties too. It has a ton of recreation opportunities as well as beauty. 

So how did others get going? Did you have a stash of money to purchase your first flip or did you find a willing investor? Did you purchase in your own area or go with US to start? SO many questions, sorry! Would love to chat with others in my area - does anyone have meets here on the Island? 

Thanks!

Hi Melissa,

If you spend some time searching through the site you'll find lots of ideas on how to get started from House Hacking to partnering up with someone that perhaps has the money but not the time to find the deals or, say, coordinating flips.

Brandon Turner has an e-book that I believe focuses exactly on this topic "how to invest with no money" or something similar.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you