Just Took My First Step.

8 Replies

Today I finally took my first step. I saw a wholesaling advertisement on a car while riding on the interstate and decided to call. I was inspired buy a Ted Talk I saw by Mel Robbins. She said if you have an idea and don't act on within 5 seconds, it will probably die. So I called the number. When the phone started to ring I realized that I didn't know what I was going to say. I was a little nervous. But when he answered I just started talking. I volunteered to help him with anything he needed assistance in exchange for mentorship. He was caught off guard a bit, but was very receptive. I have a meeting with him in the morning.  

I have been stalling a bit because of fear of rejection and/or failure.  So today was a realization that I fear is in my head and going for what I want is easier than battling the what-if's in my head. 

Good Luck to everyone who are taking on new ventures this year. 

@Donald Capwell Thank you.  I just read your profile. And I am kind of facing a similar situation with my current job. My employer has is walking away from it's contract and job security is uncertain. I don't know what will happen in six month. 

Sooo, I have been pounding the pavement looking for jobs in my 'field'. I have had several successful job interviews and offers. I am currently weighing my options. But I had a though today - What if I took a chance to do something new and exciting. 

What is a good book you would recommend? I starting my reading list for 2016.

Thanks, @Sydnie Miller .  It's a scary world when you have to depend on some else to pay you, so you are on the right path!  As for books, there are many great ones!  I started with all of the Guides here on BP to gain traction on my investment strategy.  Other books I've finished recently are The e-Myth Revisited (Gerber) and The One Thing (Keller, Papasan).  I'm also reading Gary Keller's The Millionaire Real Estate Investor, which is also good stuff.  The next one on my list is also on is site, because I'm doing rehabs, and that is the one authored by J Scott.  I am impressed with his writing here, so I'm looking forward to reading that one, too.

Don't let anyone tell you you can't do this... Find a way, and DO IT!  Lots of helpful people here, and we're all rooting for you!

What does a good mentor look like?

I really don't know what to expect from this experience. Can anyone think of any questions or topics I should ask my mentor? What area should I pay close attention to? Any red flags I should be weary of? ....... All input is welcome for this post. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you