New Member From Santa Barbara, CA

8 Replies

Hi Bigger Pockets Family,

I am new to real estate and am looking for some help to get me started on my journey. 

A bit about me...I live in Santa Barbara, CA and have an amazing wife, two kids and a third on the way. my goal is to invest in positive cash flow properties to bring in extra income so my wife and i can spend more time with our kids and do the things we love to do.  I would like to invest in single family, multi-family and apartments with little or (no) money down :) 

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. 

Thank you,

Matt 

Hey Matt,

Were building a wholesale team here in Santa Barbara. Hit me up if you want to know more. We are also planning on starting a hands on REI group here in SB as well. Also we are having a REI meetup with investors from all around the state this Jan 23rd.

Hi Matt, 

Welcome to BP! If you are new to real estate, then the one thing I would suggest is getting to know your local market. A common theme that I hear from many of the podcasts are new investors that overpay on their first property. Since you are from Carpinteria, you probably already have a good sense of which parts of SB are appealing or not so appealing based on your investment criteria. Drive by neighborhoods, go to open houses, talk to agents, and go to local real estate clubs. I would be more than happy to share listings with you in a daily or weekly digest and over time you'll be able to gauge the value of homes. 

Just my two cents. Happy investing!

Originally posted by @Brian G. :

Welcome. What areas are you interested in? I haven't found much within driving distance of Santa Barbara.

I have been researching out of state, Ohio, Iowa, Texas. I am having a harder time finding a cash flow deal in my backyard. 

@Matt Lawenda

Welcome to the BP.  My wife and I just completed our first flip down in Oxnard.  We would be happy to share any of the experiences we learned on our first deal.  Please let me know if there is anything else we can do to help you down in Ventura County.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you