Learning resources and mentors

3 Replies

Greetings All,

I'm interested in RE investing and would like to know of other resources and information that may be helpful in connecting with investors, mentors, agent and brokers. What are some of your opinions on real estate schools and gurus? Should those be an option? I'm in the tri-state area and real estate is booming here, so are the prices. Currently, ingesting all the info I can before diving in for 2016. Looking forward to good things and sound investing.

Hi @Josef Nicholson ,

Welcome aboard! We are happy that you have joined BP! I can't wait for you to get started. Have you read The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Real Estate Investing? We wrote it with the beginner in mind. It’s an excellent place to start, and can answer many of your questions.

You are in the right place to learn all about real estate investing. Do you know what sort of investing you are thinking of doing?

BiggerPockets has a FREE webinar every week. Presented by the BiggerPockets Podcast co-host, Brandon Turner, it covers a different topic every week. Sign up here for the next Webinar. Most webinars are recorded and a replay link will be sent out to anyone who signs up.

See you in the forums!

Your best bet is to learn all you can from the members on BP and even better would be to get a few BPers together from your local market and start a mini mastermind. Upgrade to Pro and post a meetup. A mini mastermind of local investors who are willing to seriously help each other will be the best thing (sorry, can't think of a better word) you can implement

I belong to a private one here and we all are essentially competitors in the same market, but at the same time we also all know that there is more than enough to go around so we help each other out. Do this and your business will grow exponentially.

The reason I say learn real estate first is because it saves you years of wondering around in investor tactics. Most try putting square pegs in round holes by doing one or two tricks with every property they come in contact with.

Making money is knowing how to identify and act upon opportunities, it's not about trying to make an opportunity with just anything you find.

Learning the basics doesn't take long, in 5 days, spare time, you can understand more about real estate than most on BP. (2 people got through a basics course in 3 days).  That's going to include some popular posters who still don't know or you haven't stayed current too. You don't need to memorize everything, you just need to know where to find information when you need it. 

How to develop a good BS Meter, read that blog.

That applies to finding a good coach, mentor or trying to follow some guru course. 

Be careful listening to peers, a peer usually won't know what you know, how can they teach?  Be more careful about listening to the old investors that claim experience as most don't stay current, things change but many investors don't. Peers and old timers can give you ideas, vet the idea and do your due diligence before you jump into having ideas. That's how you lose money and get ito trouble in real estate.

Good luck in '16 :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you