New Investor From Mount Airy, Maryland

16 Replies

My name is Justin Lenk, I'm 20 years old and from Mount Airy, MD. I went to trade school and was very successful in my field but quickly found out Corporate America just wasn't for me. I've always read about and studied people I aspire to be (successful business owners, entrepreneurs, wealthy people who came from nothing, ect.) and read financial books in my free time. I noticed that most wealthy or successful people had one thing in common : real estate. I always had an interest in real estate but thought you had to have capital to get started. Did some research to find a term called "wholesaling" and was excited. I'm currently setting up my business structure now so I can have everything in place to start closing deals. I can't wait to make 2016 my year of success with many more to come.

Some of the things I've accomplished so far since December 18th:

-Attended my first REIA meeting

-Set up my website

-Set up my business email

-Set up my business phone through google voice

-Set up my business ups box address

-Met with a local Attorney to get a quote on reviewing my P&S agreements and Assignment of Contract. He handles closings and is familiar with Double Closings and Assignments, is investor friendly, and has 9 units himself!

-I filed to set up my LLC through the Maryland website (cheaper and faster than LegalZoom)

-Set up my company bank account.

-Purchased bandit signs, wooden stakes, and roofing nails.

-Looked for recent cash sales and figured out what investors were buying in the area by searching the property on my county's tax assessor website

-Practiced comping properties

I plan to use the rest of January to set up my business structure and have my first direct mail campaign out in the first week of February. 

I'd love to meet with some local investors in my area!

-Justin

Welcome Justin, sounds like your off to a great start. Its good that you have put the front end effort in. 

I am in Mt Airy as well and also in the start up phase of my real estate venture,  we should catch up sometime.

Best,

Robert

Hi Justin!

It looks like you're off to a great start!  I'm in Mount Airy as well (I actually grew up here).  I just moved back home from DC about a month ago and have been researching real estate investing for about 4 months.  I'm looking to purchase my first buy and hold sometime in the next year.  Reach out and maybe we can even grab lunch or something one day.

Ben

@Ben Bechtel

Thanks Ben, definitely stay in contact. Have you been to a REIA meeting yet? They're awesome! Tons to learn and it's neat to be surrounded by people with similar goals. I attended one in Baltimore (looking to attend one that is closer to mount airy though). Maybe you and I can link up and attend one together.

-Justin

Welcome to BP Justin! It sounds like you are off to a great start! Let me know the next time your in Baltimore and attending another Baltimore REIA meeting. I will probably be there.

Joe

@Joseph England

Sounds good man! I really enjoyed the Baltimore REIA but it it was a little far of a drive (about an hour to get there). I'm looking for some closer meets but might occasionally visit the baltimore REIA, I met some great people there!

-Justin

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you