New member from Aberdeen SD!

3 Replies

Hey, all! I'm 26 years old and reside in Aberdeen, SD. My SO and I are currently looking to purchase our first rental property. We're looking to invest in the Aberdeen and Sioux Falls areas of SD. I stumbled upon this website about a month ago and have since devoured around 50 podcasts. 

It was a bit of a weird path to get here. I had started listening to the Survival Podcast to learn about the homesteading lifestyle. At one point during the show, Jack mentioned a quote from this little known book called Rich Dad Poor Dad. I don't remember the exact wording, but it was along the lines of " Poor dads teach their kids to be good employees, rich dads teach their kids to be good business owners". That really stuck a chord with me, so of course I had to read the book. Over the next week, I listened to another 3 of his books. Then I started looking up real estate investing and came across a forum post from BiggerPockets. At first I thought it was just another site that wanted gobs of my money before they'd tell me anything halfway useful. Boy was I wrong. I'm finding that this is a great place for free and incredibly useful information. Having said that; all of the BiggerPockets books came in the mail this morning and I'm ready to start learning so much more.

Welcome! I do my business in the Sioux Falls area.

Sounds like you're on the right track! Next step would be to find a mentor to get you in the field taking action.

Best tip I can give ya is just go do it, don't study all this stuff and really knit pick it, just learn the ropes and take action. First hand is the best teacher, and the best strategy. Ask questions then apply the info you learn!

Goodluck to you, maybe see ya around!

Welcome Barry!
Gunnar is correct, first hand experiences is the best teacher and BP allows you to use other's first hand experience for free.  I'm a local investor in Sioux falls as well as a licensed Realtor and licensed Property Manager.  I'm also the one who runs the local REIC for investors like yourself to network with other investors like myself. Please feel free to check us on on FB. And if you have any questions feel free to PM me as well. I'm always happy to help!

Hi Barry,

Welcome to the forum. I am in the Sioux Falls area. I wish you best of luck. I got started myself after reading Rich Dad Poor Dad. It is a great book to show you why investing in rental property is a good idea. BiggerPockets is a great resource to show you how to invest in real estate.

Joe

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you