New member intro - new to NW Arkansas

6 Replies

Hello BP -

I'm new to BiggerPockets and recently moved to NW Arkansas for work after living in Phoenix and Atlanta for several years.  I'm in commercial real estate and have been for the last 12 years, primarily in a property management capacity.  I have some experience managing residential property as well.  I currently own my home as well as 2 investment properties, and am very interested in buying and holding residential R/E and growing a portfolio that will hopefully provide substantial income to live comfortably off of one day.  While I'm interested in any buy and hold opportunity, I'm currently seeking multifamily properties as I assume they offer more bang for the buck.

I'm looking forward to meeting successful investors and learning everything I can about the business.

TJ

Hi, @TJ T. .

Welcome to BiggerPockets!

Be sure to check out the blogs and podcasts as well as the forums.  You can learn a ton from the real estate experts on the site.

You should also look up Jerry Allred with Allred Property Management and Brant Barnes with Shelter Insurance.  They are both in Fayetteville and have extensive investment experience (not to mention they're great guys).  I'm sure you will hit it off with them!

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for replying Douglas.  I'll reach out to Jerry and Brant and let them know that you referred me to them.  I see you're in Memphis, I wish I were a little closer as I've read that's a great area for residential investment right now.

I appreciate your input and am looking forward to buying more property!

Best regards,

TJ

Hey TJ

welcome to BP. you're in a great market. I went to school up there and visit whenever I can. I really like your intro. You stated your goals. I'd like to pull on a thread from your statement: "I'm currently seeking multifamily properties as I assume they offer more bang for the buck."

Do SFR or MF offer more bang for the buck? That's the question that would be interesting to analyze. You make an assumption but do you have any data to back that up. I suspect it changes per market.

Anybody have any thoughts? What does an investor need to know in order to determine in SFR or MF are better investment directions.

Paul

Hello, TJ  and welcome to Bigger Pockets!  You will find a wealth of information on this site as well as knowledgeable, helpful folks.  I love the podcasts and listen every day on my commute to work. I like the variety of guests that have different strategies and thoughts about investing.  I also like the calculators available in the tools section of the website and use those daily to analyze deals.

My husband and I are natives to NWA and I hope you love it here as much as we do. We have primarily invested in raw land (20-40 acre tracts) but are delving into the buy and hold rental world. We have currently bought a SFH and now looking at a four-plex. Plugging numbers into the BP calculators, the multi-family seems like the best way to cash flow unless you can find a great deal on a home. Saying that, cash flow on homes is good in the Fayetteville area because of the university as you can rent by the bedroom. You've probably noticed our area has a lot to offer!

I also wanted to let you know we have a REI group that meets the second Tuesday in Fayetteville. Brandt Barnes (mentioned in above comment) heads this up and it is a wealth of info for experienced and newbies investors. Let me know if you need more info about this.

Brenda

Hi TJ! Welcome to BP and NW Arkansas. I moved up here a few years ago from Florida and am loving it. As everyone already mentioned, be sure to get caught up on the podcasts and join as a Pro member as soon as you can as this will open up unlimited use of the tools and old webinars. Hope you enjoy the area!

Thanks

Mike Jimenez

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you