I'm new (Houston, TX)

17 Replies

Hey y'all!

My name is Philip and I just signed up for BP.

I've been looking into REI for a couple years and just recently decided enough time has passed and it's time to get busy.

I heard about BP via Facebook and a couple friends liking posts and articles from BP.

I have many years experience in construction of residential and now am a project manager for a company that rehabs multi-fam properties for investors. I did obtain my RE agent license a few years ago and had a couple job offers but it just didn't interest me at the time so I went back to the construction side.

My plan is to start with small multi-family residential and then eventually own 5 MF Complexes in the Houston area.

Welcome to BP!

Yea i remember a few years ago when i was bitten by the real estate bug and starting researching away.  I thought to myself, "man if only there was a site that had all of this information in one place!"  Then i stumbled on BP!  And my real estate prayers were answered...

Anyway, i plan to get into MF a little later on, but want to get my feet wet on SFR's rentals first.

See you around the forums!

Miles S.

Welcome to BP Philip. I'm new here as well.

I also come from a construction background. While out of college I became an airline pilot, I left that career when I found real estate. More recently I got my PMP (Project Management Professional) certificate and became a project director for a large construction firm. A position I held for 6 years. My next job was as an operations manager here in Houston before returning to real estate full time just this month.

While I enjoyed flying, and the atmosphere and steady paycheck of construction, as well as the ability to be part of a project and see it grow from a thought or plan to an actual building, I just keep returning to real estate because of the people, freedom, and opportunities. 

I'm sure I'll see you around this site, it really does have a ton of great information!

Originally posted by @Chris Bounds :

Welcome @Philip Schultz , BP is the right place to learn about REI! Be sure to plug into some of the many local REI meetups and network.

Hey Chris, can you recommend a good club to join in Houston? I'm still trying to learn all I can so I can start investing and would love to get a recommendation for a good club to join. I've heard of REIA, RENC, RICH in Houston, what do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome aboard , there is a whole lot of real estate information here, great people and vet knowledgeable, take the best advantage of the knowledge and experience and get involved.

Originally posted by @Chris Bounds :

@Tatiana Crisler, Like others mentioned, there is a BP meetup tonight. Jet Lending, a local HM company, hosts one of the largest REI meetings the 3rd Wed. of each month at the Houston Texans Grille. The RICH club has meetings throughout the month. I host one in Sugar Land the first Tuesday of the month.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your reply and info.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you