Newbie Investor in Nothern VA

Newbie Investor in Nothern VA

New to Real Estate · Lorton, VA · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 11 votes

I must say that I love BP. I love the ability meet experienced investors from all over the country and the local area. I currently live in Lorton, VA (Fairfax) and am about 2 months in. I am looking for investors to connect with and learn the local rules and regs. I am starting with Wholesaling because I don't have much cash on hand. I want to start in Dumfries, Woodbrige, Lorton, Springfield, Alexandria, and Arlington areas. I learn really fast and and what I don't have in experience, I make up in drive...lol. If there are any local REIs, I would love to connect. Thanks! I am excited about joining this awesome community!

3Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
10y

Welcome to BP @Corey Boone

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Corey Boone:

    I must say that I love BP. I love the ability meet experienced investors from all over the country and the local area. I currently live in Lorton, VA (Fairfax) and am about 2 months in. I am looking for investors to connect with and learn the local rules and regs. I am starting with Wholesaling because I don't have much cash on hand. I want to start in Dumfries, Woodbrige, Lorton, Springfield, Alexandria, and Arlington areas. I learn really fast and and what I don't have in experience, I make up in drive...lol. If there are any local REIs, I would love to connect. Thanks! I am excited about joining this awesome community!

    Welcome to BP. Make sure to set up keyword alerts on your areas of interest and you can find local REIA listings here https://www.biggerpockets.com/rei/real-estate-club...

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP @Corey Boone

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome to the site @Corey Boone

  • Bill WinstonPro Member
    Arlington, VA · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Hi Corey

    I am in Arlington and done fix and flips throughout Metro DC and Central Virginia. Let me know if you have any wholesale deals, or become interested in a JV option, or would like some help finding investors or lenders.

    Best,

    Chip

  • Investor and Realtor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2015 · 148 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Corey Boone Maybe we can do some JV deals as I am a wholesaler in the same areas.

  • Rental Property Investor · Applegate, OR · Member since 2012 · 177 posts · 51 votes
    10y
    Hi Corey. Thanks for introducing yourself to BP. Wholesaling is a great way to get started. You will find a great deal of solid wholesaling info on this site in the forums, blog posts and podcasts. If you ever have any questions let me know. Here's to your success!
  • Rental Property Investor · SC · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Hi Corey!  I'm a new kid around here too trying to figure it all out.  Best of luck!

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2008 · 90 posts · 16 votes
    10y
    Welcome to BP Corey Boone There is a REI meetup in Fairfax hosted by Jessica Swingle They meet Friday mornings! Check it out... http://www.meetup.com/Real-Estate-Investing-Coffee-Meetup/
  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Corey Boone

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. It is a good community to network and learn about all aspects of real-estate investing.

  • Real Estate Professional · Dayton, OH · Member since 2015 · 423 posts · 187 votes
    10y

    I understand that a lot of the ebooks, podcasts, etc out there talk about wholesaling as the place to start if you need cash (or don't have cash).  Many of that information is dated and misleading.

    Getting started in wholesaling isn't free.  You need some cash to get started.

    If you are short on cash, the best way to get started is bird dogging for the dominant wholesaler in your market. You will earn while you learn and all it generally costs you is your time.

  • New to Real Estate · Lorton, VA · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Brie Schmidt Thanks that is helpful!

  • New to Real Estate · Lorton, VA · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Russell Brazil Thank you.

  • New to Real Estate · Lorton, VA · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @James Wise. thanks, I really feel welcome

  • New to Real Estate · Lorton, VA · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Bill Winston that sounds great! We can connect. I will connect with you. I am working on a buyers list and getting my feet on the ground now. Do you do deals in DC?

  • New to Real Estate · Lorton, VA · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Angelia Kinston, that sounds great! Are you a part of a REI group? Can you add me to your wholesaler list? I am Ready!

  • New to Real Estate · Lorton, VA · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Sean Edgar Thanks, a lot. I definitely will.

  • New to Real Estate · Lorton, VA · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Kayla Lyon yeah, so you understand where I am and how everything is new and trying to figure your way out. Let me know if you find great resources and I will do likewise.

  • New to Real Estate · Lorton, VA · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Damien Hall thanks for that info.!It is hard to keep up, now that I am getting involved. There are so many MeetUps...lol. That one is the perfect time. I will definitely be there. I just signed up! Where do you do most of your business? What type of investing do you do?

  • New to Real Estate · Lorton, VA · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Mark Nolan Thanks!

  • New to Real Estate · Lorton, VA · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed. Thanks for that honest advice. That is very helpful. I really like people that shoot straight. I will take that into consideration. What would you say I need to start?

  • Investor and Realtor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2015 · 148 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    @Corey Boone I will add you to my wholesalers list. Can you PM me any contact info? Also, try realinvestors.com REI.

  • Bill WinstonPro Member
    Arlington, VA · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Good to hear from you @Corey Boone.  Yes, DC, Maryland and Virginia.   I have had experience in all three.  

    Chip

    Dominion4 Properties LLC

  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 239 posts · 90 votes
    10y

    Hi @Corey Boone

    Welcome! Glad you're here. There are lots of ways to learn more and get involved in the local real estate investor community in NOVA. Bigger Pockets is great. I'd also recommend joining a local group or two... I'm a member of Capital REI, which is run by @Roger Lin, @Justin Pierce, and @John Rubino. This is a great group that meets in Fairfax City each month. Nice group with lots of good people in it. I can provide more details if you're curious. You can

    Also, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction for things to think about and consider as you make a decision regarding your next steps.

    Please check out my profile and reach out if you think I might be able to help you. I have lots of clients in the same boat- just getting started and trying to make the best possible choices as they move forward. It's great that you're reaching out for advice. That's a VERY smart first step. :)

  • Springfield, OH · Member since 2012 · 155 posts · 50 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the shout-out, @Damien Hall. 

    Look forward to seeing you Fri, @Corey Boone. 

    Cheers, 

    Jessica 

  • New to Real Estate · Lorton, VA · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Elizabeth Nourse, thanks for  your help. I will check those guys out. It is always good to get welcomed into a community! I will check out your profile. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.