Votes
Sebastian Howard
  • Tucson, AZ
Votes |
And so it begins...

Sebastian Howard
  • Tucson, AZ
Posted Mar 24 2016, 10:51

Hello all. I'd like to start with expressing my sincere gratitude for every single individual who has been apart of putting together and contributing to all of the many facets that make up Bigger Pockets. Its truly amazing what you all have done, and Iook forward to becoming a part of this community. 

I've been meaning to do make this account and do this intro for weeks, but I didnt quite feel ready until now. So I went totally overboard writing this. So I figured I'd make a summary for those who don't have a lot of time to read this. The long version follows the end of this summary. 

Summary

I am totally stoked on real estate investing. I've had it in my mind since I was 15, and for the last 3 months I've been getting read up and educated on it. I've got a solid plan for the next year, and I've got a couple of opportunities that have presented themselves to me in the last couple weeks. I've got motivation, dedication, and I'm in it for the long haul and in it to win it. I've been through some tough things to accomplish goals and those successes provide me confidence to push through any obstacles I'll come across. I've got my wife changing her mindset to the thought path of wealth via books like "rich dad poor dad" and she supports me, for which I am very thankful. I look forward to sharing my successes, failures, and asking for/recieving any and all advice, tips, or help. 

Much Aloha!

Sebastian

The long version (its ridiculously long for a member introduction.  after listening to the podcasts telling me 100 times to write an intro here, I guess I had a lot of intro writing built up in me. I also pounded a redbull before sitting down to write this and couldn't stop because I was so wired.)

My name is Sebastian Howard and I am from Kapolei, HI. I am 24 years old, and have been serving in the Army for the last 6 years, 4 of which in the airborne infantry, and the last 2 learning arabic. I first read rich dad poor dad when I was 15 years old.  I've always known that I wanted to become a real estate investor, but growing up in Hawaii it was near impossible to afford living on my own, and I really enjoyed my "party years" and felt I was not ready to take on such an endeavor.  I knew from early on that "doing well in school to get a good job" wouldn't actually get me anywhere so rather than going to class or doing homework, I spent my time in highschool running "my first business" called Sebass' Brownies. Simple $1 chocolate chip brownies. But I went a little overboard compared to most kids. My business came complete with a business plan, marketing tactics, financial worksheets, and 6 "employees" (bakers and sellers). Of course none of this was legal or documented in anyway, but I still produced a cash flow of about 400 dollars a month and even managed to sell "the rights of the name Sebass' Brownies" to a younger student for a tiny amount of cash when I graduated. I was 16 and making 400 bucks a month for driving to the store twice a month and picking up fresh brownies every morning to distributing them to sellers. Unfortunately I was a total stoner surfer/skater and I did not learn study habits, graduated with a 1.3 gpa, and spent every dime I made on having fun. So, I joined the Army knowing I would get some nice benefits out of it in the end, and that they'd give me some more "partying money" along with covering my basic expenses. After my deployment to Afghanistan in 2012, my path of life took the turn towards responsibility and adulthood, which was around the age of 22. I got engaged to my lovely wife, began using a budget and spending lots of capital on "adult things" like a place to live, bills, pets, and all the expenses that go along with a beautiful wedding in Hawaii which took place in the spring of 2014. (Just finished paying that off 5 months ago. So friggin expensive..) For the next 21 months I attended the most difficult language school in the world. 70% failure rate and you have to pass a test on a made up language that you cant study for just to get in. I tied for top of my class in modern standard arabic, and was granted and passed a follow on "conversion to levantine dialect" course for advanced students. Needless to say, I learned how study. 4 months ago, towards the end of that course, physical tragedy struck, as regards to my army carrer. Old deployment injuries fired back up in full force and as a result I will be getting medically retired from the army (a process that will take another 9 months.. ish). So after graduating 3 months ago, the army put me on "casual status", a sort of limbo that is very unique and basically only happens in this specific location. In this limbo, have no dutys or obligations besides going to medical appointments and dropping by and saying, "hello, I'm still alive" once or twice a day, monday through friday. So i began to apply my new study habits to what I've always wanted to do. Real estate investing. I began working on my credit, It has raised from 630 to 680 in 3 months. I paid off $4,000 of unsecured debt. I began planning for my future. I got my wife to get her mind set geared towards this lifestyle. (she even created an account on here before I did!) 

So here's what I've done so far as education is concered. I've studied a lot of fundamentals and basic property analysis using a cool $24 course i found using google (it was very dry, but it amazing for a begginer like me), I read "tax free wealth", a guide to va home loans, a couple other kiosaki books, and I'm about to start the abc's of real estate investing. (Millionaire realestate investor is after that!) I've listened to the first 50 bigger pockets podcasts thanks to a buddy who put them on my ipod (which is why I am on here now), and I participated in my buddy's phone conference with Tyler Chef from cashflow guys. His guidance was fantastic, particularly with va loans.

Current plan. Next month is my last month of large payments on debt. Thank god. I picked up uber driving to be able to hit my goal of saving $12,000 dedicated towards real estate investing in the next 9 months. (which will be my investment emergency repair fund since a down payment isnt required with a va loan!) And of course keep learning along with getting a real estate license, possibly for multiple states if possible/feasible. With the GI bill and medical retirement, school will be my "job" when I get out because those two will easily cover my expenses. 

Current opportunities. 1. I want to take my friend's friend's parents and him out to lunch. and ask them a million questions. I met my friend's friend once and he manages their properties and they've been in real estate quite some time according to him. 2. I just had a great success! My last roommate, who is just scratching the surface of the real estate mentality, signed up for a "guru" deal thing without asking me if it was a good idea first and paid 700 bucks, and they want him to pay another 700 before even begining the first month. My success was that I convinced him to not pay the next month. Thank god. My father went through that rigamarole when i was 16 and even then I thought he was being an idiot. He did nothing beyond very very basic real estate after that. Anyways, this old roommate of mine trusts me and I trust him. We've had a working relationship for 2 years and he's always good on his word. He's currently in a situation where he cannot dedicate hours to studying and networking like I am, due to his job, not to mention the obstacle of, not so great credit, because of trusting the wrong people on cosigns for vehicles in the past. So heres the opportunity, he's about to come into a considerable amount of money. 3 years of back taxes for 5 dependents for which he was paying the single rate. And he has the same benefits I do. Exciting? Wouldnt you be excited to get a cut on net profit cut gaining your first real experience in the market 7 months before you possible could on your own, using 100% OPM? And learning of this opportunity after finishing 50 bigger pockets podcasts? I am..... GIDDY with excitement and motivation.

Whew... If you made it through all of that, I applaud you and I can't express in words how incredible it is that investors like yourself are willing to dedicate the time to read all of that in order to help out people like me and forge new friendships and connections. 

Once again, Much Aloha, Mahalo, And Best Wishes,

Sebastian Howard

Loading replies...