New member from New Jersey

11 Replies

Hi BP community! My name is Geet, I just recently learned about Bigger Pockets and decided to join just yesterday. I have read a few forums throughout the day and it seems like this is a great place to communicate with other real estate investors! New to the real estate world, but have been interested in it for a few years now. I recently just graduated from Rutgers University and am currently working a full time job. I do have stream of income, but student loans and other bills are really making it harder for me to save to invest in RE. As a 23 year old, it would be great to network, learn, and start my real estate career off on the right track. Anyone have any tips for someone who does not have any capital and is new to REI? Please feel free to add me/contact me on opportunities or just to introduce yourself! I hope to speak to you guys soon.

Thank you,

Geet Doshi

Welcome. You have already set yourself up for success by joining BiggerPockets!!
This is really the premier place to start learning about RE and what it can do for you!

1. First things first, learn the basics --> http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

2. Then, download the BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide and start reading some more!!
The UBG will will walk through many of the key topics of real estate investing. Ask anyone here, its an invaluable resource. --> https://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

3. Once that's done, get to listening to the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A really great podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. --> https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

4. Now you're ready to face the RE world !! GO GET IT!!

Hello @Geet Doshi and welcome to BP. BP is a great place for new real estate investors. At BP, you can access great information on the forums, connect with other real estate investors, and learn how to get deals done right. You came to the right place and I wish you best of luck. You are not alone in your real estate ambition. 

Promotion
Speed To Lead
Buy hot seller leads w/o subscription
Buy daily seller leads that are actually ready to sell
Finally there's a place where you can buy leads that asked for urgent help selling their house

@Geet Doshi There are many ways to help you financially. I think the best thing for you to do as a new investors, other than your homework about the business, is to team up with an experienced investors as an intern. This way you will be able to learn the ins-and-outs of investing and get some hands on experience. If they let you put some dollars down on their project, you might even be able to make a small return.

There are tons of people that would be interested in teaming up, especially if you offer some free online marketing for them. Good luck!

Welcome @Geet Doshi I grew up in the Rockaway area. Did you graduate from Morris Knolls? Enjoy BP this a wonderful place to learn. You may find it tough right now to save but no worries your age and willing to learn is what matters. If I had the money to spend when I was 23 I probably would be bankrupt. Similar to you I had an interest in REI and simply stuck with it. From the time I first took interest to the time I purchased my first MFR my entire perspective changed for the better.

Personally I would try and "house hack" if I were you. By buying a personal property you can put down 10% even 5% (im not a big fan of FHA however), and then turn in into a rental.

Currently you need to put down 15% on single family as a investor and need more reserves.  Im still in my 20s and have 3 houses.  If you have any family members willing to loan you money that would be great as well, but that wasn't my case.  Keep saving!

More than happy to answer any questions.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you