Interested in SFH/MFH Renting. St George, Utah

Interested in SFH/MFH Renting. St George, Utah

Twin Falls , ID · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
I'm 23 going to school at Dixie State for business administration. Originally from Twin Falls, Idaho. I'm jumping the gun on this but I figured it might be good to get some insight as I study. Currently I own 0 properties. I'm going through the BP guides and trying to learn before I make mistakes. I have been thinking about investing for a few years now but as of now I'm 100% into this. I have experience in construction and landscaping. I've roofed houses, drywalled, framed and almost everything else. I went through classes in high school and worked the summers. I have 3 years of drafting/architectural design classes. Last year, I worked cutting down and trimming trees along with other landscape jobs. Electric and plumbing is where I myself fall short. I do have a roommate that is an electrician so there's that. I think a few hours on YouTube will help with plumbing. I grew up around architects and builders so I do have some networking already. My focus right now is to get a place where I can live and rent out the other rooms so I don't pay rent. Flipping strikes my fancy, I have skills for it. With school, I'm more into passive income for the time being. I would like to start in my area but my extended family is massive and willing to help me out with management. In the future I would like to spread out and buy in their areas. Most bigger cities in Idaho, all over Utah, Colorado Springs and Las Vegas area.
1Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Bill S.Pro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

@Jordan Egbert welcome. My advise would be to get a lot more focused. Narrow down what you want to do and where you want to do it. Once you can do that, then you can have success. While having contacts in all of the West is great, without knowing an area it makes it challenging for newbies to get a good deal. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Saint George, UT · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Jordan give me a call. I am a local full time flipper here in St George. I also own a real estate brokerage and the local real estate investment club. I can point you in the right direction.
  • Walter PurdyPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 19 votes
    10y
    I grew up in Layton Utah & moved to Vegas 4 years ago, the development here is insanity!! 2 more casinos being built right now that are both billion dollar projects & going up in the next 2 consecutive years. & now an NFL stadium being built, if you ever come down & need help with anything just let me know
  • Real Estate Broker · East TN Loudon/Lenoir City/Tellico Village · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 222 votes
    10y

    Welcome Jordan...

    I'm currently living in CA but invest in St George, UT. We have two SFH rentals that we are working buy and hold strategy. I bought the last one about 18 months ago through short sale. I love St George and networking. I haven't found any deals that are just listed but I do see the online auctions listed. I have never done a flip but know that if the numbers work I'd definitely be interested a deal working toward quality cashflow.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · St. George, UT · Member since 2010 · 212 posts · 114 votes
    10y
    Hey Jordan Egbert! Welcome to BP! Good to have another investor in St George! Brian Lewis is a great resource make sure to connect with him and join us for our local REIA gatherings. Are you working while attending Dixie?
  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Jordan Egbert welcome. My advise would be to get a lot more focused. Narrow down what you want to do and where you want to do it. Once you can do that, then you can have success. While having contacts in all of the West is great, without knowing an area it makes it challenging for newbies to get a good deal. 

  • Twin Falls , ID · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    I should have put that I am currently unemployed because of school. I like to take more credits and trying to manage both school and work is a struggle. I do realize this makes it difficult to get a loan but my father is more than willing to cosign. I am still working on my criteria but I do have basic idea  for my first home of where in town I want to buy, what I want to buy and what I want to spend. A week ago I had a sinus surgery and I'm still having issues with walking in a straight line. It will be awhile before I can meet up and everything. It will give me time to study up and get a better understanding so I'm easier to work with. Thank you all for your posts. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · El Paso, TX · Member since 2015 · 379 posts · 201 votes
    10y

    @Jordan Egbert,

    I would have to agree with @Bill S. A lot of people think of situations before they have even found a property. First choose which exit strategy works for you rather it be buy and hold, fix and flip and in some cases wholesale. Once you have figured that out, the numbers will help you get a loan for the property because you hopefully be buying at a discount and leave enough room to make money after the property is rehabbed. Then the lender will see you can pay them back and still make some money. Hope this helps.

    Louis

  • Real Estate Agent · Spanish Fork, UT · Member since 2020 · 79 posts · 56 votes
    5y

    A little off topic but does anyone have insight into the short term rental market in the area? I am specifically looking for areas that allow for STR and ideally ones that allow for self management. I would love to connect with anyone who has experience in this niche.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.