Poughkeepsie New York

12 Replies

Hi Everyone, my name is Hamar Clarke. I am new to BP. I am really interested  in connecting with people, sharing ideas and building relationships. When it comes to real estate investing, there is always more to learn from others. I look forward to getting involved with the BP community. 

Thank you

Promotion
RentRedi
Smart Tech For The Smart Landlord
The Smart Way To Manage Your Rentals
Enjoy growing your portfolio without paying more for it. Unlimited units & easy-to-use apps.
Get Unlimited Units

Hi Hamar,

Yah, Welcome!  Hey here's a question I've had about the Hudson Valley that is crucial to my investment world:  I guess it's more of a question about NYS in general:  How is the tenant/ landlord law in NYS and or Ulster Valley, POK?  

I come from investing in Colorado and Idaho where if I move quickly at the beginning of the month, I can have a tenant out by the end of the month.  I lived in California where I hear nightmares about 6 months to 18 months to get a tenant out, if the tenant is wily enough.

I'm invested in Missouri now and everyone says 45 days max, but just had a tenant pull some crazy stuff to milk the free rent teat for waay too long;  I'm not even sure what happened there, yet!  

I'm just looking into Connecticut, which sounds like I don't want to go there.

Tell me about NY.  

Thanks buddy!

Hi @Alan Brown ,

The tenant/ landlord laws are very different here in the Hudson Valley area.  Yes, It could take 6 to 18 months or less to get a tenant out because you pretty much have to build a case on your tenant. This involves court proceedings, Documentation, proof of tenant lease violation etc.. The process for proving the tenant needs to be evicted can take some time and money. Your best bet is to screen your prospective tenants to the best of your ability and hopefully weed out future headaches.

Promotion
Guaranteed Rate
Guaranteed Rate is a top mortgage lender
Save $1,290 on your next home – no lender fee*
Get special perks like $1,290 in lender fee savings when you buy a second home with Guaranteed Rate.
Apply Now

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you