Newbie in Columbia, SC

11 Replies

My name is Kip Metler, and I live in Columbia, South Carolina. Over the past couple of years, I have become interested in real estate and real estate investing. A couple of weeks ago, a friend recommended that I listen to the BiggerPockets Podcast and I subscribed to the BiggerPockets Podcast that afternoon. I listened to Podcast Show 001 with Marty Boardman and I have become obsessed with listening and learning about real estate investing ever since listening to that first Podcast.

Although I am definitely a newbie to real estate investing, I have a strong desire to learn about real estate investing and to ultimately achieve financial freedom. My initial goals are to acquire rental properties and build my passive income portfolio. I have read the BiggerPockets Presents: The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Real Estate Investing and have purchased additional books recommended in the BiggerPockets Podcasts to further my education about real estate investing. I welcome any other recommendations for a newbie that just getting started. I am looking forward to building relationships within the BiggerPockets community as well as my local community. 

I started on the podcasts as well.  Such great information, and I would listen to them while I cleaned, while I drove, while I worked out, whenever I could.  Welcome to the BP forums.  This is an incredible place to learn and grow, as you'll soon find out.

I'm also in SC, but in Summerville.  If you ever decide to tap into the rental market over here, let me know.  I'm a realtor and an investor, currently purchasing an investment in Ladson.  This is a great area for rentals.  My agency has an in-house property management division that is running at less than 1% vacancy.  If you ever want to talk rentals or run numbers, I'd love to help however I can.  Enjoy the podcasts!  They only get better as you go on.

Promotion
Avail
Landlording made easy.
Best-in-Class Platform for DIY Landlords
List unlimited units, screen tenants, draft and sign leases, and collect rent—all free.
Use Avail—Free!

Kip,

Welcome to BP from another guy trying to soak up everything there is here to learn.  BP is a heck of a resource OR someone here can always steer me to where I can find answers to specific questions.

I feel strongly that our neighborhood here in the Columbia area offers unusually good opportunities for practically anything related to real estate. I like the idea that you can get a decent rental house up and running and paying you every month for relatively tiny money. I sold a newcomer 3 houses this week for a total of 62,500 combined. His budget is 12,500 for the rehab and they will be ready to rent for about 600 to 650 each. If SFH at the lower end of the spectrum is an interest of yours, I like that kind of math as a way to stick a toe in the water. Or you can buy a nice house in the suburbs here for 110k and get 1250 to 1350 a month rent. And everything in between.

It is also exciting to see tough parts of Columbia turning the corner. That offers many ways to make money too.

Best of luck with your excellent adventure!

Chris

Hi Kip,

Welcome to the community. I recently turned on to BP. This is a great place to learn and connect. I am a real estate agent in the Greenville SC area, so let me know if I can help.

Tim Sprague

Hey Kip,

Welcome to the community.I am also from Sc.My long term goal is to buy and hold also.Right now I am wholesaling and working with another local investor my way on a rehab.I would suggest setting up keyword alerts for your area,SC and buy and hold if you have not already that way when somebody post about the subject you can be notified and can join the discussion.If there is anything that I can help you just let me know and good luck!

Hi Kip!

Welcome aboard!  As a newbie I can't stress anything more than reading and soaking up everything you can get your hands on, and this is the place to do it!  If a particular concept or idea has you confused or baffled, the answer is here.  There are no dumb questions as EVERY ONE OF US has been there before.  

I am talking to several locals about a BP get together here in the Columbia area.  Make sure to set your keywords for Columbia, West Columbia, Lexington, Cayce, South Carolina, etc. and you'll get the word when we put something together.  I look forward to meeting you and following your progress!!

Welcome! I am an investor in Columbia,SC and am not an agent. I think to learn some basics of transactions, wholesaling is a great way to start. The first transaction I ever did was a wholesale house I got under contract from an out of state owner. It had a huge profit margin, and I learned to borrow private money (from a friend) in order to close the deal and immediately resell it to a rehab buyer I had found. This kept my 16k profit under the radar during the resale, and helped me learn several parts of the business quickly since I had no experience. There is no substitute for jumping in and applying what you are reading about and learning what will work for you. Hope that helps some!

@Kip Metler

Welcome.

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

Paul

Hi Kip!

You and I are in the same boat. I am new to this game and am working to get my first deal right now. Wish I had some sage advise to give other than to just keep plugging away. Hope to be back on the forums one day soon with some experiences to share.

Best,

Colin

Hi Kip! Welcome to the BP community! I'm a real estate agent in Irmo / Chapin / Ballentine and have rental property in Columbia. If you're interested in working with an agent, feel free to message me!

Thanks!

Michele Stephens

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you