New SF Bay area member

2 Replies

My name is Jonathon and I've always admired the individual who is capable of recognizing opportunity and seizing the moment that helps them attain financial freedom. I've always balanced between the role as an employee and independent contractor - both of which have left me unsatisfied with how I come to possess money. I'm looking to learn about general investing in hopes to change my financial situation from making money to making my money work for me. I know very little about real estate but, I am familiar with it's potential to be a lucrative investment option. I'm hoping the information contained in this site will educate me toward my first deal. Please, if you have the time available I welcome all educational advice you may solicit my direction as I develop my knowledge toward real estate investing.

@Jonathon Nixon Welcome to BP my friend, I like your introdction! I'm sure you will quickly find that the majority of people on here are genuinely interested in helping one another, it is truly a great resource. As for education, I would definitely start with reading books and listening to podcasts. You'll gain a strong foundation. If finance/economics is lost on you, I might advise picking up some information regrading those topics as well. "Naked Economics" is a great start to understanding macro environments. I've compiled a book list that I'm working through, I'm happy to share it. If anyone has any they would like to add on, feel free (please make sure to tag my name, I'm always hunting for a good book). Nothing better than a good book list !

1. Unofficial Guide to Real Estate Investing by Spencer Strauss and Martin Stone

2. Landlording On Autopilot by Mike Butler

3. The One Thing 

4. Four Hour Workweek

5. Multifamily Millions

6. Pitch Anything

7. 7 Years 7 Figure Net Worth

8. What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow….

9. How I Turned 1000 into 5 Million in Real Estate in my Spare time

10. The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary KellerKeller

11. Building Wealth one House at a Time

12. The Tipping Point by Malcom Gladwell

13. 10X Rule?

14. Advanced Guide to Real Estate Investing

15. The Sleeping Giant by Ken McElroy

16. The Art of the Deal by Donald Trump

17. HOLD

18. Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill

19. Real Estate 101 by Donald Trump

20. Every Landlord's Guide to Property Management by Michael Boyer

21. Outwitting the Devil by Napolean Hill

22. Cashflow Quadrant

23. Equity Happens

24. EMyth

25. Rich Dad Poor Dad

26. ABC's of Real Estate Investing

27. The Art of War for Small Business

28.Investing in Apartment Buildings

29. The Advanced Guide to Real Estate Investing

30.Good to Great

31. Keys to Investing In Real Estate

32.How to Win in Commercial R.E. Investing

I'm sure I've missed many that are considered highly important, but this is a good start. The ones I have bolded are considered to be some of the most popular books by new investors. They provide a new way of thinking about money, a philosophy if you will. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions, please let me know, I would be happy to help !

Kenneth R. Reimer

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you