Skip to content
New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Hargreave
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Shorewood, IL
Votes |
New to REI from far South-West Chicago Suburbs.

Andrew Hargreave
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Shorewood, IL
Posted Oct 7 2016, 23:17

Hello all! Just getting started to REI late in life (well...late relative to my young teen-20's). Like many I've read about already, REI was something I never payed attention to throughout life other than thinking "other people did it" and it didn't hold an interest to me.

After catching a Clayton Morris podcast about 2 months ago and then reading Rich Dad Poor Dad, I've become hooked and driven to dive into this new adventure in life.

I've been in computers/IT/Technology since 1984, worked at a few companies, ran my own consulting business for 7 years and then re-joined the full time workforce for a client.  The small company I've worked at for 4 years was just acquired by a 700 person company out of Cincinnati and I'm not sure what the future will bring (they already have a very large well defined IT group so my niche isn't guaranteed long term).   Hitting the big 5-0 this past year, I don't know that I want to rely on the 18-hour days that I've spent the last 30 years putting in.  Technology is an always changing area so it keeps me very interested as a profession, a hobby, and 'fun time'.

However, since reading RD PD, I've found a new passion for something new to learn and I'm extremely interested in buy & hold investments.  Since I still work 10-18 hour days, I don't have a lot of free time to manage properties though (and all my skills are IT related...I'll take 5 trips to Home Depot for a home repair and STILL have to call in a professional to finish it.)

Obviously, a turnkey provider solution is what I'm looking into and have started conversations with a few of the fine folks I've found here on BP.  My plan is to acquire a property before the end of 2016 to get me started and learning the ropes.  We initially want to try and get something locally to get our feet wet.

My wife is skeptical but open after trying to explain the concepts to her. We're not planning on quitting our jobs any time soon. We're looking into REI for long term wealth and having something to pass onto our children someday..but planning on having our passive income to allow us more freedom.

The fun part is I bought a physical copy of Rich Dad Poor Dad and gave it to my 20yr old son, he read it in two days and is excited to start REI himself. He then gave it to our 17yr old son who's halfway through and already thinking differently. I'm keeping my eyes open for any opportunity that would let them pool a little of their savings together and maybe get started.

I live in Shorewood IL (just West of Joliet) and am lucky enough to work from my home office managing data centers in the Cincinnati OH area. With the new parent company being located in Cincinnati, I'll likely be travelling there more often (actually have a week long visit Oct 17-21 for company event.) I might also be interested in B&H in the Cinci area as I have a co-worker that lives there and has expressed an interest in REI as well.

I want to thank all those who have already posted SO much information here on BP for us newcomers and I am always open to learning new things.

Also, should anyone need/have any IT related questions, I'd be more than happy to offer my help in return (for over 15 years I've focused on supporting small businesses and their IT needs.)

I look forward to making many new friendships!

Loading replies...