• Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
to become a real estate agent or not?

Alexander Friedman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Posted Nov 28 2016, 16:40

Hi BP Community! My Name is Alexander Friedman. Please feel free to call me Alex. I've been living here in Portland, Oregon for a little over a year and recently got my license to be a real estate agent (though I haven't yet hung my shield with an agency). I'm having a bit of a debate with my self and I'd very much appreciate the communities thoughts on this: What I really want is to be a real estate investor but my education and experience are lacking. Some people close to me recommended that I become an agent as a way to build some experience and confidence, and learn the industry. What I'm wondering is: Is this a good path to a thorough and effective education in real estate or a distraction that will take away time, energy, and $ from what I'm really trying to do? Would I be better served going to the local real estate investors club, learning here on BP, and hustling on my own? A note about my current position: I have some savings that would allow me to be an agent full time for a good long while but I'm wondering if that money is better spent starting a business as an agent (in a very risky, tight, and competitive market) or if its better saved as something to bring to the table with possible creative financing options like a partner, hard money lender, seller financing, etc... I'd really appreciate your perspectives on this folks.

Loading replies...