This Introduction Was Very Long Overdue

3 Replies

Hello Pocketeers! 

I have been a member since November 2015, but never actually took the time to participate in the forums and I kinda regret that. My name is Melvin and I'm currently active duty military. I developed an interest in real estate investing after listening to the Rich dad Poor dad audio book, but it wasn't until the birth of my son that I started to get truly passionate about real estate investing! I had a poor mans mentality, but I know now that I can afford anything I want to. I tend to spend at least a few hours a day either trying to find a good article to read, a podcast to listen to, a book to read, or a potential deal to analyze. Unfortunately I'm overseas right now and will be relocating soon so I don't foresee myself making any bold moves too quickly, but I will definitely try and take the time I have to contribute back to the community, that I have learned so so much from and continue to learn as much as I can. BiggerPockets is an amazing community and I'm glad to be a part of it.

Hello Welcome Melvin, I'm someone who hasn't contributed too much to biggerpockets as well, but I am active in real estate investing, and reading. I don't know how often, or how many podcasts you listen to, but if your truly interested in any type of real estate, I believe you with find the courage and motivation that it takes through those podcasts, and through reading, because you will most likely find someone who has been or is in a similar situation to yourself, and had been creating reasons to postpone jumping into real estate and finally did. For me it kind of sounds like you may be, but if you continue to, you may never take the jump. After I learned the basics, I decided to force myself to be successful in real estate by analyzing to the best of my ability tens of deals, and offering what I believed the properties were worth to me. I over estimated every cost, and left a few things out that I didn't realize needed to be accounted for. In the end though I forced myself to learn first hand and I did come out ahead on my first deal, which was a flip. I'm not saying it's a method for everyone, but sometimes if you cut off any other options other than doing it, that is the only way to get past the fear, the unknown, and the years that pass of not taking action. I quit my job as well before I did my first flip so I didn't have any option except to succeed. Like I said, not for most people, but sometimes forcing yourself out of your comfort zone is the only way one will ever do the things they've been longing to do.  There are deals everywhere and ways to do deals even if your over seas. I think there is a podcast where somebody did actually. I hope you have a great investing future. Post any questions you may have and most people will provide some great advice and options that maybe you didn't know was possible.

Christopher,

Thank you for the very motivating response! I can tell you had a stressful start like most, but I really commend you for your sink or swim mentality. The fact that you quit your job, juggled uncertainty and left failure out of the equation is amazing. The biggest reason I have not invested in the last few years is because Im stationed in Hawaii, and did not know enough early on to find creative ways to get into real estate investing. If I would have read Brandon Turner's How to invest with no or low money down book I may have done things differently. As soon as I get back stateside, I'm all in. Thank you for your words of wisdom Christopher, good luck on all your future endeavors.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you