• Insurance Agent
  • Richmond, RI
Votes |
Writing solidifies action - my introduction

Daniel Preston
  • Insurance Agent
  • Richmond, RI
Posted Jun 1 2017, 12:45
Hi BP, Long time lurker, finally working my way towards action after years of analysis paralysis and timidness. After listening to the first 25+ BP podcasts in the past week (I dive a LOT for work), I'm taking @Joshua Dorkin and @Brandon Turner's 'quiccckkkk tippppp' advice and introducing myself in hopes of solidifying​ my plans going forward and meeting other members. I've been a commercial insurance agent for about 10 years now, living in Rhode Island and commuting over the line to work in CT. But god honestly, I've never had a passion for the work I do. However, while I recognize the importance of a highly compensated career that provides for me and my family, I think it's important to love what you do and have a passion for it. Hence why I'm here. After reading Rich Dad Poor Dad years ago, I developed a huge fascination for both real estate and investing, and the opportunities they hold. Unfortunately, living in such a bad local real estate market (Rhode Island is HURTING in many areas), I always found myself making excuses to wait longer, research more, do more calculations, plan to move, etc. But once I stopped and realized what I was doing (coming up with excuses), I made a commitment to change that. Just last week I signed up for my real estate licensing exam (weighed both the pros and cons heavily) with the intent of learning even more, while also gaining access to the local MLS. I think that commitment will help with the private money lenders I have access to, as I start flipping houses to build up cash reserves and invest down the line out of state in a better market. My goal is to find enough work on the real estate side to replace my income as an insurance agent. I believe it's possible, and I know will take a LOT of work! Wow... writing that goal took a lot more out of me than I thought! Strange to actually see it in writing. Anywaya, I would love to hear your story if you can relate and thanks for an awesome community! Dan Wow... typing that was a lot harder than I thought!

Loading replies...