Newbie from Bay Area, CA moving to Austin, TX

7 Replies

Hello,

My name is Thania Silva. I am a 32 year old nurse from California with a MBA. I love my job and helping people, but am also very business minded. My husband and I have owned 2 houses in the past (our personal homes, not investment). We just sold the last one and made about $200K in profit. We want to use the money to invest in a multi-family rental property.  

We move from the Bay Area, CA to Austin TX next week. It's very exciting and scary at the same time. We are not so worried about finding a house for us to live in, but more concerned with getting something that can make money monthly.  I am looking for guidance with this process as I am a newbie in this arena. Not sure where to invest....I like Sacramento, CA and also the Austin area (nothing more then 30 min from downtown though) but am super open to ideas.  

I'd love to connect with mentors  and like-minded people in general in Austin. I will be there starting August 20. 

Cheers,

Thania 

Thania.

I grew up in the Bay Area as well and know that market very well. Austin is very hot right now and to find something that cash flows nicely is going to be hard to come by.

Have you thought about investing out of state for cash flow?

Hi Thania. I am a transplant from the Bay Area as well and have been living in Austin a year now. Would love to meet up and connect with like minded individuals as well to talk investments, interests, recommendations, etc.

@Thania Silva Welcome! I would scope out Austin for investing if you are there long term. If you are moving back to California then maybe consider Sacramento or the Bay Area as you are probably very familiar with the market. Your money will go farther in Texas  depending on where around Austin you invest. Great job on the MBA and making a 200k profit on recent sell. I would make sure you are going to be in Austin for a few years or so before I would buy a multi family, otherwise I vote California if you are coming back. Make sense? Just my two cents. Good luck.

@Thania Silva

There are lots of things to consider before I'd know whether it makes sense for you and your husband. However, have you thought about owner-occupying (or "house hacking") a duplex in Austin?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you