New Member in Syracuse, NY

New Member in Syracuse, NY

Syracuse, NY · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 6 votes

Hi BP,

My name is Michael Lembo and I'm a CPA in the Syracuse, NY area. For various reasons, including but not limited to my desire to improve my financial well-being so I can better provide for my family, I recently set a long-term goal to become a real estate investor. I've been listening to the BP podcasts for a while now, and finally got around to joining the forums. Really looking forward to engaging with some of you in the near future.

At the moment, my top priority is to connect with local real estate investors in the Syracuse, NY area and to develop a working relationship with a mentor. Before closing on my first deal, I'd like to take some time to continue reading and researching under the guidance of a mentor so that I can really learn about the real estate market in Upstate New York. I think it's important to build that foundation before even attempting to develop a specific investing approach/strategy, though I currently envision myself as a buy-and-hold, multi-family property investor.

My experience in real estate thus far is limited to closing on a single-family home (my primary living residence) and fixing it up (removing/replacing ceramic and vinyl tile flooring, painting, installing baseboards and shoe molding, installing light fixtures, landscaping, etc.). I love working with my hands and learning as much as possible when it comes to carpentry and general handy work. It's a nice change from sitting at a desk all day staring at numbers on a screen!

If there's anyone in Syracuse, NY (or Rochester, NY, or Upstate New York in general) who can provide information regarding any upcoming real estate education/networking events in the area, that would be greatly appreciated. I've set up key word alerts and will keep checking back.

2Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 602 posts · 250 votes
9y

@Michael Lembo Great goals Michael, have you started looking into meetup.com to find local real estate events? No doubt you will find a suitable mentor there. 

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 602 posts · 250 votes
    9y

    @Michael Lembo Great goals Michael, have you started looking into meetup.com to find local real estate events? No doubt you will find a suitable mentor there. 

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @Bryan Pham That's great advice, Bryan. Thanks! Looks like we have a Real Estate Investors Club here in Onondaga County. I'll be attending the next monthly meeting. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Rafael, CA · Member since 2015 · 190 posts · 90 votes
    9y

    @Michael Lembo, hello and welcome to BP & REI! A few of us are going to grab a beer @ Coleman's on Sunday, Sept 10th around 7pm if you are interested. Happy to make introductions and talk shop for a few hours with you.

  • Stephanie JacobsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2016 · 428 posts · 324 votes
    9y

    Hi Michael! I'm an agent in the Binghamton and Ithaca areas, and I'd love to help out! It seems there are a whole bunch of you from Syracuse jumping into the game- that's awesome!

    @Ryan Hansen, @David Elefant (Enrique) maybe y'all can connect?

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Hey @Will Chamberlin - absolutely. That sounds great - thanks! I've added it to my Outlook calendar. Let me know if you'd like to exchange contact info when we get closer. Might make things easier trying to find each other at Coleman's. Do you permanently reside in the Syracuse area or are you flying in from San Rafael? 

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Hi @Stephanie Jacobson! Thanks for jumping in. Would love to pick your brain regarding the state of the market in Upstate/Central NY. Looking forward to connecting with Ryan and David as well. How long have you been an agent and which agency are you with? 

  • Stephanie JacobsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2016 · 428 posts · 324 votes
    9y

    We're messaging now, but I'll answer here anyway as well. I'm with Century 21 Sbarra & Wells, and I joined them this winter, though my investment experience dates further back than that. I became an agent because of my love of investing. I am also paired with a mentor who has been with the company for twenty years; I tell all my clients you get two agents for the price of one!

  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Hey Michael, 

    Great intro, Welcome to BP! @Bryan Pham raised a great question. I'd check those out for sure. 

    Also, since you're setting up keywords, start reaching out to investors, contractors, lenders, attorneys, brokers, etc in your market via private message. Schedule some coffee meetings and happy hours with like minded people in the area. I've met some great people and learned A TON thanks to connections formed on BP.

    I'm sure with your handy work, desire to succeed and positive attitude, you'll find some awesome partners, mentors, and friends along the way.

    Best of luck to you!

    -Abel

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Camillus, NY · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    Hi Michael,

    Welcome to BP! Obviously, some great information on this site. Hope to see you at Colemans!

  • Wholesaler · New Hartford, NY · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 8 votes
    9y
    I'm in Utica, and know a few guys out in Syracuse that may be interested in talking with you. Send me a PM, we can take it from there.
  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Michael Lembo, welcome to BP! Good to see another newbie in Syracuse! 

    I've gone to the Onondaga County REIA meeting, honestly I found the leader to be very condescending and discouraging. However everyone else there was very nice and helpful. So it is a good place to network, but make sure you go early because the networking portion is before the meeting. The first meeting is free to go to and you can pay for each subsequent meeting a la carte. Hope this helps!

  • Rental Property Investor · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2017 · 156 posts · 72 votes
    9y

    Hey @Michael Lembo, welcome to the forum. The Onondaga REIA meetings are decent for networking but many times they have sales pitches from various RE "experts" so I've found them less helpful than I had hoped. You can pay a yearly membership fee or a la carte as David mentioned above. I'm looking for a more relaxed and informational group concentrating on how to do stuff from actual local experience, not stuff to buy to "help me" do stuff. Just my two cents.

  • Pat GoodyearPro Member
    Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 77 posts · 48 votes
    9y

    Welcome! I have 18 properties in and around Syracuse. Love to talk real estate! There a few local facebook groups that are good too.

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    9y

    Welcome @Michael Lembo. I'm currently in Rochester but moving to Syracuse in a few weeks :) BP is definitely a great resource- glad you've "jumped in". By God's grace I've gotten to do four deals since I joined BP two years ago (one of them a 12-unit) - having started with zero experience , little cash, and working a more-than-full-time job. I say this to encourage you to keep listening, reading, and engaging the community here. It's time well spent!

    I look forward to exploring the market in Syracuse once we move. Would definitely love to connect with those of you on ground already. Cheers!

  • Investor · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    9y
    This thread is gold!!! I have been on BP for a couple months and haven't seen this many local syracuse people before!
  • Rental Property Investor · San Rafael, CA · Member since 2015 · 190 posts · 90 votes
    9y

    @Michael Lembo, I am flying in for 10 days to work on a new property. I live in CA year-round.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Western, NC · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Hi, I'm new to the area and to BiggerPockets. I'd like to network with other investors in the Syracuse, NY area. I'll love to join at Coleman's on Sept. 10 @7pm and meet some of you.

  • Gilian GegawinPro Member
    Virtual Assistant · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 236 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    @Michael LemboHello, Michael. Welcome to BP. It seems like a simple thing, but reaching out in BiggerPockets about getting started as a real estate investor is a great first step. Congratulations and I wish you a ton of success.

  • Real Estate Agent · Oswego, NY · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 8 votes
    9y
    Welcome and great goals! The Syracuse area and surrounding counties have some great investing opportunities for many investment strategies. I have to echo a lot of what many of the Syracuse members have said so far, be sure to network and build contacts. I havent made the official plunge into investing but I have learned an unbelievable amount from those I have connected with, from finding a good deal all the way through buying a SFH and converting to a Multi Family.
  • Real Estate Agent · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 12 votes
    9y
    Welcome! In my experience there are a bunch of Syracuse based investors that have been extremely beneficial to learn from. Sounds like you have a solid vision and plan also. I agree that it's important to build solid long term mutually beneficial relationships. Congratulations on making this decision for your self and for your family.
  • Chris JacksonPro Member
    Investor · Southold, NY · Member since 2016 · 173 posts · 154 votes
    9y

    Hello all. I am an active investor in the Syracuse market. We have been investing in Syracuse for the last 9 years. Bought multifamily wholesaled flipped but mainly a buy and hold focus. 

    Direct message me if you have any questions. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Western, NC · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Hello! Are you all still meeting at Coleman's tonight to network? I don't see any of you here? Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.