Introduction from Montreal Canada

14 Replies

Good day all,

I just came back to Montreal (My home town) from Edmonton AB where i worked for 3 years as an Architectural Tech. - Spent a lot of time there drafting on the computer which enabled me to listen to the BP podcasts while i work lol.

I am very much interested in the Real estate business world and love the way it can be scaled if the right system is put into place. I am here now on the Forum aiming to learn as much as possible before i make my first investment. I look forward to sharing my mistakes, achievements and lessons!! 

Cheers!!!

Hello Dario,

Welcome to BP! I'm from MTL too. Would love to stay connected. I only invest in mortgage notes but would love to hear what you've been doin and exchange ideas.  Cheers 

Welcome to BP

We have been buying properties in the central Okanagan and did well however is becoming harder to cash flow as we are looking for next new investment property

I am currently studying these locations as my targeted areas.

What's would be your top pick ? (You were in that neck of the woods)

Thanks in advance

Edison Reis

@Dario Ercolano Hey, Dario! Welcome to Bigger Pockets! Bigger Pockets is your golden ticket to great success. Get deals done the right way and reach out to experienced real estate investors on Bigger Pockets. Congratulations and I wish you all the success.

Hi Dario and welcome.  I'm sure you know this but just in case... Quebec has some pretty draconian landlord and tenant regulations.  The rules in Alberta are extremely effective in protecting tenant rights but still among the most favourable to landlord interests of any jurisdiction I know of.  The Ontario rules are much harder on landlords but still somewhat manageable.  My understanding of the Quebec situation is that it is extremely unfavourable for landlords there.  I looked at investing there but quickly stepped away.  So make sure you know what you are getting into.  You have the benefit of knowing Edmonton somewhat and Alberta is likely to be a fantastic place to invest (depending on the petrochemical sector health of course) so if I were in your shoes, I would use my knowledge of Edmonton and my friends and connections there to invest there while you live in the magnificent city of Montreal.  As I've heard on Bigger Pockets a few times, live where you love and invest where it makes the most sense.  Cheers, Noel (in Toronto).

Welcome to BP @Dario Ercolano

I agree with @Noel Desautels comments. I am currently investing in Alberta, focused on Calgary and Edmonton as well as smaller towns in the province. Cashflowing properties are hard to find in Calgary and Edmonton but they are still out there. I believe the Alberta market is a great place to invest right now because it was hit hard with the recession and has lots of upside. I would take your local knowledge from Edmonton and surrounding area's (Sherwood Park, Leduc, etc) and find a cashflowing property that has appreciation upside as the market improves. Good Luck!

Thanks Travis Hewlett, to validate that there are some good deals in and around Edmonton. I am just starting up with real estate, and browsing through MLS, I am having really hard time finding anything that can cashflow.

Can anyone refer any investor friendly agent I can work with in Edmonton?

Not an exhaustive list by any means but some names of realtors who specialize in investment properties in Edmonton...

Andrew Barrett

Selena Cheung

Corey Young

Either I or my wife have had brief but pleasant conversations with each of them and while we have not done enough research on Edmonton to formally recommend any of them, they would be a good place to start.  I'm sure other BP people from Edmonton will be able to add to the list with more direct experience.

Originally posted by @Noel Desautels :

Not an exhaustive list by any means but some names of realtors who specialize in investment properties in Edmonton...

Andrew Barrett

Selena Cheung

Corey Young

Either I or my wife have had brief but pleasant conversations with each of them and while we have not done enough research on Edmonton to formally recommend any of them, they would be a good place to start.  I'm sure other BP people from Edmonton will be able to add to the list with more direct experience.

Originally posted by @Noel Desautels :

Andrew Barrett

Selena Cheung

Corey Young

Thanks Noel. I had chance to talk with Andrew and he seem to be a good realtor to work with.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you