Newbie from Scituate, MA

5 Replies

I'm Nikki from Scituate, MA.  Zero experience in real estate, but in searching for our first home we came across a two-family home and decided to go for it!  Both units are being rented out currently and I am here hoping to get any advice or tips available on where to go from here!  Would really love to be able to make a go of it.  I am a house wife and would love to turn this into a full time job.  Also, it would be great to find a vocabulary definition page for all these new real estate words!  I'm trying to study everything, but am not familiar with a lot of the terms.  Thank you in advance for any tips or advice and connecting!

Hi Nicole, 

sounds like a great opportunity. 

Are you looking to live in one unit and rent the other? If so, it's important to gather as much insight as you can from the owner and or sellers agent, concerning the lease terms. I've seen folks purchase properties, that have tenants signed on for a year or so, but their immediate expectation was to evict/break a signed lease of one unit, so they could live in one, while the other offsets and provides the additional cash flow one would expect.

@Matt T. thanks!  We are thinking of it.  We have no rush to move so we don't mind waiting until the leases are up.  That's a great idea to get more information from the sellers and agent.  From reading some things on here I was so worried about getting nightmare tenants.  It will be good to go in a little more prepared.

@Ann Bellamy  that is perfect!  Thank you.  I've got a lot of studying to do!

@Nicole Robinson Hi Nicole!  I just moved from Scituate to Plymouth after living there for 32 years, but I'm still there every week for church and once each month for First Friday,

We should connect and see what we can do to help you.  Call me any time.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you