New Member - Bay Area, CA / Rochester, NY

17 Replies

Greetings - My name is Whitney McClary. I currently work in San Francisco for a tech company in business development/sales. I have been educating myself through the podcast, forums and books the past couple of months and thankful to be a member of the BP community. I feel like I have a good foundational knowledge to start taking action and make my first purchase this year. Really funny being at this point, as my father has been in landlord for 20+ years and I swore as a kid I would never get into the business :).

I am looking to purchase 1-2 multi-families in the Rochester, NY area as buy and hold investments. I still have strong roots there and will be a much easier market to enter than the Bay. Ultimately I plan to relocate back to NY so that is additional reasoning behind my choice.

I am an avid learner of personal development and view real estate investing as a great strategy to not only become financially free but also optimize my skills and impact on this world. Music and fitness are additional passions of mine.

I look forward to contributing and networking with this community. I am extremely grateful to get started on this journey with this great resource. Any and all suggestions for a newbie are welcome. Would love to meet up with anyone in the Bay Area or Rochester, when I am back that way.

Cheers,
Whitney

Hi Whitney,

Welcome to BP! I actually lived in Silicon Valley for about a year before moving back to Rochester this past winter (I still work out there ~25% of the time). If you ever want to meet up for coffee to chat (in either location), let me know!

-David

Hey Whitney, welcome! I too am in the early phases of establishing a foundational base of knowledge before I dive in. There's a large meet up next month in Oakland I plan on attending.

I live in SF. If you ever want to get some coffee or tea, let me know. I also have a pile of about 20 books I'm plowing my way through. If you care to borrow any that I'm done with, you're welcomed to. For multifamily, The ABC'S of Real Estate is extremely appropriate. 

Good luck to you. 

@Whitney McClary ,

If I remember correctly, I think @Tom Randazzo bought some stuff in Rochester, unless I'm thinking of the wrong person at the Santa Cruz meetup with @Jenifer Levini

A bunch of use are meeting up in Oakland this weekend if you can make it. 

There are also other events in the > Community > Networking Events section of BP. I definitely am a big fan of meeting people in person if you can.. 

Whitney ,

I'm also out of the Bay Area and have been investing in Rochester for about 4 years. My wife and I chose Rochester because we were new RE investors and the cost to entering the market was significantly lower than buying property locally. We used this as our POC to see if Rochester buy and hold for cash flow worked. Our properties are in C+ through C- neighborhoods so turnover can be high and the renters are rough on our properties. One of the reasons I believe we have been successful is because of the team we have in Rochester, specifically our property manager - Pat Gallagher. 

Hey Whitney, welcome to the market, if you need help finding deals let me know, if you plan on staying in San Fran you might want a valid property manager, overall the market is pretty good right now. If you'd like to meet up and chat over coffee that'd be great

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you