Newbie in Indianapolis,IN

7 Replies

Hi BiggerPockets community! I am a Southern transplant to the Midwest due to my current career. My wife and I have been in the Indianapolis area for about 4 years now and have really enjoyed our time in this great area. I have been researching getting into REI for several years but, have yet to pull the trigger due to what I still consider a "lack of knowledge".

I currently work for a Fortune 50 company as an Account Manager serving about 1/4 of the U.S.  I started my career as an R&D scientist before transitioning to the sales and marketing aspects of the industry. I currently spend a great amount of my time on the road negotiating with the management team of one of our largest customers. 

I am super excited about interacting with people from various areas of REI to help me get the ball rolling. I always spend a great amount of time researching and learning the best ways to approach any business opportunities. I can't wait to get started on a new this new opportunity here in Indianapolis. I have no problem putting in the work to help anyone else be successful in exchange for learning opportunities.

"It's never too late to start being the person you were always meant to be!"

@Jonathan Huff Welcome to Indianapolis. Glad to hear you've enjoyed it here. Do you have any specific investing goals or an idea as to what you would like to do once you are ready to jump in? Fix and flip? Buy and hold? Commercial? Syndication? Again, welcome. 

What are your goals at this point, Jonathan?  I think the podcasts are so great for learning and being inspired.  You also should check out the CIREIA meetings.  There is one main meeting per month and then 8 subgroup meetings where they delve more in-depth to specific topics such as landlording, rahabing, wholesaling, etc.  If you are looking to purchase a rental property the company I work with has some good off-market deals, and we also sell off the mls.  PM me if you want more info.

@Jonathan Huff - You're in a great town for investing. Sounds like you lead a busy life. If you're handy or willing to learn, I'd recommend a BRRRR strategy there in town. if you don't have the time you may consider a turnkey. It will provide less return than doing it your self but can get you started. The TK company I use there in Indy has some great training every month if you decide to go that path. Let me know if I can help...

Hank

Welcome to BP! My advice is to listen to all of the BP podcasts while driving whenever possible (there are over 240 podcasts to listen to). This will get you familiar with the many REI strategies out there and a great start to your RE education!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you