New Jersey Real Estate Newbie

12 Replies

Hi everybody,

I decided to make the big first step and engage on BiggerPockets.  My name is Ian Livaich.  I am 25 years old, a graduate of Rutgers University in New Brunswick (Go Knights!), and am a third-year law student at Villanova School of Law.  After graduating, I will be joining a law firm in Philadelphia as a real estate associate, advising large commercial clients for the most part.  

While I have always been interested in real estate and admired real estate investors from afar, I felt intimidated by the all of the concepts and jargon.  I did not give it a chance because I did not know where to begin.  My good friend, who has flipped four properties, noticed that I was interested in his projects and suggested that I check out BiggerPockets.  I listened to my first podcast two weeks ago and I have been hooked since.  I have been listening to the podcasts and webinars, reading blog posts, and checking out the forums.  I have a bunch of real estate books on the way (all suggested on the BP podcasts) that I can't wait to sink my teeth into.  I will be educating myself as much as possible over the next year before I start working so I can hit the ground running when I have acquired enough knowledge and some capital.  

Because I will have a full-time job in a year, I plan on utilizing the buy & hold strategy on SFRs and multifamily properties.  I think these strategies provide me with great opportunities to apply what I am learning on BiggerPockets, earn passive income, and evaluate my future strategies.  I would also like to flip a property or two in the short-term, perhaps with my good friend who I mentioned earlier.  

For now, I am trying to write down as much as I can from the podcasts - interesting concepts, principles, formulas, questions, and ideas that I want to explore further.  I am maintaining a guide of my own (inspired by the Ultimate Beginner's Guide) to keep all the information organized and accessible.  There is a steep learning curve, but I am already starting to feel comfortable with all of the ideas and lingo that once intimidated me.  Rather than have my questions go unanswered, I will be posting on the blogs this weekend and engaging with the BP community.  Also, I am going to my first meeting at my local real estate club next week.

I would appreciate anyone's input and would welcome the opportunity to connect with you.

Thanks for reading,

Ian Livaich

Hi Lan!

Welcome to Bigger Pockets! This community has a lot to offer, specially the podcasts, I have listened to all of them.  If you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Hi Ian! Welcome to our Bigger Pockets community. Just as we look forward to helping you, we are truly excited for you in your new career and value your input to help us!

Hey Ian - I would recommend joining the South Jersey Real Estate Investors club (SJREIA).  They have meetings along with other county clubs pretty much every week.  You can get on their listserv and view all of the daily emails on inquiries and advice from the many experienced RE investors in the SJ and Phila area. 

I would also listen to the BP podcasts and read and participate in the forums.  I have learned so much just be reading and participating in the forums.  Ask as many questions as possible.  There are so many experienced investors on this blog many will be happy to help.  

I have made two RE investments in the last two years, one single family and one multi-family that recently closed.  Once you purchase one, it gets addicting.

Best of luck and feel free to reach out with any questions.

Rob

Ian - Welcome to BP.  I live in Piscataway, two blocks from Rutgers Stadium.  I second the suggestion that you join SJREIA. They put on great events.  I go to the ones at On The Border in Rt 1 in New Brunswick but they also have meetings in Princeton and several sub groups.

Thank you to everyone who has reached out so far.  I am excited that there is a New Jersey / Philly presence on BP.  I look forward to chatting with you all more on the forums as time goes on.

Ian, 

Welcome to the BP community!  I too am a newbie at this real estate business. I started my education about two years ago  reading and listening to every book I can. Then I found BP and became a BP forum junkie this year of March, which is about 60-70% of my education now. I agree with you that education is definitely a must!  GOOD LUCK with your journey. 

Welcome to BP @Ian Livaich ! Since you're currently in PA you might also benefit from looking into DIG (Diversified Investors Group if I remember correctly. They're a PA centered REIA. I'm not a member (I'm an SJREIA member) so perhaps one of their members can chime in to speak on their behalf.

Sounds like you've got a good plan mapped out! Looking forward to checking out your blog post when you get to it. shoot me a PM when you get it posted!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you