Rookie from northern New Jersey

13 Replies

My name is Curt and I'm from New Jersey. I'm looking to become a real estate investor and start generating passive income so I can get out of the rat race. 

To date I've started my journey by reading a number of real estate and investment books and have listened to a large number of BiggerPockets podcasts. I'm hoping by joining the BP community I can continue to learn and find opportunities to help grow a portfolio and over time pass on my experiences to the membership as well.

Glad to be here!!

Hi Curt,

Welcome to BP! The prodcasts are great to learn from, you’ll get to learn from other people’s mistakes without paying for them. Best of luck on your journey.  Do not hesitate to ask questions. 

Hi Curt, welcome! I'm relatively new to REI too. There is a wealth of knowledge on BP, you found the right place.

From across the Hudson in NYC,

Steve

Hi @Curt S. and welcome. You are definitely starting out on the right foot by reading books and listening to the podcasts. You will learn a ton just from that. Like others have mentioned ask questions on the forums, read blog and forum posts that interest you, and soak it all in. Everyone is really helpful and willing to share their knowledge. Also don't be afraid to meet people for a cup of coffee there is nothing like connecting face to face with someone in your local area. 

Good luck  

@Curt Sonnet, I'm new on here too but I moved my first deal this week. Make sure you analyze, analyze, analyze and get on the phone/email or whatever else it takes and talk to people. That is how I found my first deal so quickly. Good luck in NJ!

Welcome! It’s great to see action from New Jersey. I’m would love to hear where you plan on investing. This is a tough state for beginner investors.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you