Newbie investor from VERMONT

13 Replies

hi everyone, I am new to real estate investing and hungry for my first deal. I currently live in Chittenden County, VT and am actively looking to network, connect, and learn. 

Hey Steve, I am mostly looking for multifamily but am open to single family as well. Farm area will be mostly Chittenden County (Burlington, Essex, Williston, Jericho, Underhill, Richmond). However, I am open to areas outside of this as well like Franklin, Lamoille, Grand Isle, and Addison County. Pretty much anything within 45 minutes/1 hour of Essex Junction where I reside.

@Eva Morel

Welcome to BP! There are lots of helpful people in VT that are patient and helpful with questions @Samantha Hiscock @Amy Paradis  and @Blair Knowles   have been super helpful for me! I also listen to the BP podcasts at least weekly sometimes several of them weekly, and have on more than one occasion found myself lost in the forum conversations, so much food for thought. It sounds like you have a decent head start with the background of working with your Dad. Good luck!

@Eva Morel

I was originally looking in Chittenden County, but the prices don't allow for cash flow, and that is what I'm going for at the moment. I just went under contract Tuesday for a property in St. Albans. Plan is for sole investment property, not owner occupying. Inspection is tomorrow. Not in great shape, but average or very slightly above average condition for the area (a lot of apartments I checked out were not well maintained) to my untrained eye, but the price was well below other market prices for the area -- so we'll see if the inspection turns up any glaring faults. Hopefully not.

Not a lot of inventory anywhere around here at the moment, so anyone looking to buy are all looking at the same properties.

@Megan Phillips congrats on the duplex! If you need an extra set of hands for any painting or flooring or anything like that let me know, my dad owns a construction company too, Morel Construction LLC for future reference, would be glad to help out.

Welcome to BP!

I am also a new investor and am looking in the same region. I have not found anything worthwhile (or affordable with a good cash on cash return) in Chittenden County. I’m interested to know how your search goes. I’m out there looking too.

Best of luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you