Newbie from Georgetown, Texas

9 Replies

Hi BP Family!

I've lived in Buda/Austin/Georgetown for the last 25 years and have seen it grow exponentially.  I'm excited to meet like minded people, help in any way that I can and gain as much knowledge and experience possible in the process.  I've enjoyed many of the podcasts that Josh and Brandon have made as well as some of the books that have been featured.  I'm evaluating the market in Bell County because I feel that Georgetown, while great for appreciation isn't so hot for cash flow.  Any advice or suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by @Erin Gray :

Hi BP Family!

I've lived in Buda/Austin/Georgetown for the last 25 years and have seen it grow exponentially.  I'm excited to meet like minded people, help in any way that I can and gain as much knowledge and experience possible in the process.  I've enjoyed many of the podcasts that Josh and Brandon have made as well as some of the books that have been featured.  I'm evaluating the market in Bell County because I feel that Georgetown, while great for appreciation isn't so hot for cash flow.  Any advice or suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you!

Hi, @Erin Gray !  Just wanted to welcome you to the BP Community.  You are going to find some wonderful resources on this site.  I'd encourage you to look and see if there are any Investor Meet Ups close to you.  Those meetings are always beneficial & a great way to meet like-minded individuals.

I wish you nothing but the best on your investing journey!

@Erin Gray When looking at markets the best places to start are local. Obviously you said you're looking for more cash oriented markets. Therefore, the next best way to start sorting through markets is to look at markets where family lives, friends live, other places in the country you already know for whatever reason (lived there, vacation there, etc.), places you would live to visit frequently, etc. 

Unfortunately, there's not a place where you can look and say "Oh I want a 12% COC return, here's all the markets that will do that. You've got to start with markets and go through and find ones you like and find ones you don't like.

Choose a city, see what it's like, look at different areas in the city, and then look at the surrounding suburbs as well. Then if you're willing to look even farther out where it gets to the true suburbs and starts to look like its going towards rural. 

Typically you want a higher cap rate to get better cash flow (multifamily) or find houses where rents are at least 1% of purchase price. Those places are typically not near major metros, but could be within driving distance of those metros.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you