REI networking events in Nashville, TN.

5 Replies

Hello, my name is Kelsey, I am new to BP (<6months), 23 and  I currently work full time as an Industrial Engineer. Over the past year, I have learned so much about investing in general (Stocks, Cryptocurrency, P2P, etc) and now hold shares in each. Right now I am seeking mentorship in Real Estate and am literally starting from ground zero. I have been reading books, listening to podcasts, reading blogs, watching webinars. As you probably know with all the information out there it can get a little overwhelming for a newcomer, but I am ready to take action! My primary focus has been educating myself and now I would love to build relationships with people in the field. I want to be sure I am a good candidate for my potential mentor and have a series of questions. So please bare with me.  

What do REI look for in a mentee and what characteristics must they show for you to give them your time?

How would you want someone to reach out to you for mentorship? 

What reciprocity do you expect from a mentee? 

Are there any networking events in the Nashville / Murfreesboro area that I may attend? 

Would you be willing to connect with me on BP?

I hope this isn't considered a mentor request. I just want some insight. Thank you for your time. Even if you are not local, PM me and let's connect!

Welcome to BP @Kelsey Teague ! Fellow engineer here! Still licensed in Ohio even though I do real estate full-time these days. Sounds like you are on the right track with the free info stuff you're already doing. Those are amazing resources. I think you'll be surprised that most people enjoy sharing what they know with others so as long as you show you have drive and a good work ethic, you shouldn't have trouble finding some mentors. I'd check out local REIA meetings and network with people there. You'll get to meet and know people and I'm sure some natural partnerships will form.

@Matt Motil Whoop Whoop! Hey Fellow Engineer! I'm kind of looking to transition, hopefully, for a while. My little brother recently signed to Ohio State! Not sure how far that is from Cleveland but I will be visiting the state often now. lol. Thank you so much for your insight! @Luka Milicevic just gave me word on a local meeting today! You guys are awesome, Thank you!

Originally posted by @Kelsey Teague :

@Matt Motil Whoop Whoop! Hey Fellow Engineer! I'm kind of looking to transition, hopefully, for a while. My little brother recently signed to Ohio State! Not sure how far that is from Cleveland but I will be visiting the state often now. lol. Thank you so much for your insight! @Luka Milicevic just gave me word on a local meeting today! You guys are awesome, Thank you!

I'm about 2 hours north of OSU!

@Kelsey Teague , welcome to BP!!!

You will get a ton out of this site. If you stay committed to goin on here and reading and being involved. (something I need to work on, LOL)

Also check out your local REIA groups. (Real Estate Investor Association.)

When I mentor someone, I have very simple rules.... 

1. They MUST be an ACTIONEER. (One who takes action FAST on new knowledge)

2. They CAN NOT be a "Wantrapreneur" (One who talks about doing business all of the time and takes no action)

When I meet someone and they tell me they are a real estate investor and have not done any deals, I simply tell them if they are going to make up a profession, tell people they are an astronaut, it sounds much cooler! LOL

My advice is not to get caught up in seeing  someone in front of their Jet or Ferrari and end up spending 50 thousand on training, make sure whomever you work with is actually in the business.

Hope that helps!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you