Votes
David Day
  • Sulphur, LA
Votes |
I'm new from S. Louisiana

David Day
  • Sulphur, LA
Posted May 10 2018, 15:33

Hi BP community! My name is David Day, I am 26 years old, and I am from South Louisiana. I own a captive insurance agency that I started scratch in 2015 which is where my primary income comes from; I'm still a small agency but I continue to grow and started earning a profit after my first year and haven't stopped since. I also do freelance computer programming and web development on the side, though that only produces $1,000 here and there nothing really to write home about.

I do not have very much background in real estate. I've co-bought a single family dwelling with my dad that was financed on a 5 year balloon payment that I intended on refinancing. The situation changed when the opportunity to start this agency came up and so I decided to sell my portion of the home to my dad so that I could cash-flow properly (or at least show it on paper). Because I was so young, finding a lender without my dad co-buying the home as well as getting a line of credit for my business was tough, but I never missed a payment on my home and then I converted my line of credit to a traditional 5 year note of which I paid off in 90 days (I had told the lender my intentions so she worked with me on not including an early payoff penalty). Right now I am living in a home in which my dad owns, but luckily I am not being charged any rent.

What interests me in real estate is that right now I am leasing a small office for my business. It is around 800 sq. ft. and after my rent and lot charges I pay $910 a month (which is great for where I'm at). However, I know of several agents who work for the same company as I do that say that the best thing that they've ever done is purchase the property that they do business on. Most of the people who I talk to own the property and have 2-9 units that they lease in a shopping center style complex, though some own just one large building. However, I would be a fool to say that jumping into commercial real estate doesn't intimidate me a bit.

What I'm looking at doing right now is purchasing a piece of property that is about 1/2 an acre in a great location on a corner lot for about $200k and building something that has 2 or 3 units (to be honest I don't know how many can fit with a parking lot). I would have one unit that I used for my insurance business, it would pay the company that I would setup for my real estate dealings like any other business would, and then leasing the 1 or 2 remaining units to help offset the financing costs.

Anyways, that is the who, what, where, and why of me! I look forward to participating in the forums, especially bringing my insurance expertise on how not only to properly cover risks but also using insurance policies to help finance purchases.

Loading replies...