Newbies from Bend, Oregon!

12 Replies

Hello everyone! We are running a joint account and this is our intro and about us! Thanks for checking it out!

Johnny has been a contractor for the past few years in Bend, Oregon. He's been using that time as an educational experience to learn more of the ins-and-outs of the construction trade, with a focus on carpentry. Beforehand he served as project manager for custom and speculative homes in Memphis, Tennessee and has spent time working in the roofing trade. He's excited about expanding his educational knowledge base and building both a rewarding, and eventually liberating, career.

Katelyn has been an Emergency Room nurse since 2009 and has worked full time in Chattanooga, Tennessee and outside of Bend, Oregon. She has also served as a travel nurse taking on contracts all over the United States. Even though she loves her ER job, she was diagnosed with Lyme disease a few years back and needs a challenging career that is less physically demanding and more flexible.  Luckily, she has a genuine interest in the real estate rehab world and is excited to learn!

We both have a love and passion for rock climbing and spending time in the outdoors. We want to build towards a career that will grant us the opportunity to travel with the seasons, enjoy more time with family and friends, and work to improve all the communities we are a part of.

We found BiggerPockets after attending a 3-day real estate seminar, and instead of signing up for the 30 to 50 thousand dollar follow up course we decided to see what other options there were on the internet. Very glad (and relieved) to have found this website! We are looking forward to connecting and meeting with you all, and hoping to be able to give back to THIS community that we have already benefited so much from!

We have a busy next year already in the works.  Johnny will be in Colorado during the summer months working as a project manager and lead carpenter for a new log home.  Katelyn will spend the summer focusing on her health and learning about investing.  Fall is set for the New River Gorge in West Virginia, where we met, for some soulful time in the woods and rock climbing - filling rest days with BiggerPockets Podcasts and real estate books.  At this point, armed with knowledge and full hearts and souls, we'll embark on our real estate careers!  

Our achieved goals by early 2019 include: 

1. Secure private money lender(s)
  2. Understand Home Equity opportunities
  3. Have business account(s) established
  4. Have CPA and attorney on board
  5. Generate leads
  6. Start rehab in Bend

- Katelyn and Johnny

Welcome! Real Estate agent with Re/Max in Summersville/Fayetteville area of WV. Next time you are around the Gorge, holler at me and we’ll grab lunch!

Originally posted by @Timothy Doenges :

Welcome! Real Estate agent with Re/Max in Summersville/Fayetteville area of WV. Next time you are around the Gorge, holler at me and we’ll grab lunch!

That's awesome! We love it there. I used to work at Waterstone (the gear shop in town) and Katelyn went to nursing school at WVU. I think it may be my very favorite place in the world. How's the real estate there? We may have to take you up on that lunch!

- Johnny

Hehe, small world. My wife and I are from the south and live in Bend. She lived in Chatt (she also lived at the New for a few years), where we own some rental property. I was born in Memphis, but now a contractor and mortgage broker here in Bend. I do some mountain guiding on the side. We should hang out....I'd love to be a resource for you! 

@Johnny Duke

Welcome to the BP family! Good to have you here! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best!

@Josh Garner that's too many coincidences not to hang out! That's wild. What's your wife's name if you don't mind my asking? Also I know/knew a few Garner's in Memphis - do you still have family there? What kind of contracting do you do and what company are you a broker for? It's like 21 questions over here, I know.

Welcome to Bend! My wife and I moved here about 9 month ago to start a career in real estate. That was the best decision of our lives, we love living here and Im sure you guys will too! Iv recently picked up rock climbing and have been going to the Bend Rock Gym, do you guys want go climb together sometime?

In regards to your goals, maybe i can help! I work for a hard money lender (Tennant Developments) that specializes in construction finance. If you need help financing your flips or spec homes then we should talk. For getting your business accounts established, I recommend First Interstate. They recently bought Cascades so they have a large presence in Bend. Their business accounts are pretty standard, but they are some of the best for credit lines and opening business accounts with them helped me get favorable rates. I bank with Alan at the Century location. 

Last but not least, you guys should come to our monthly BP meetup. On the first Thursday of every month we meet at Level 2 in the Old Mill around 530pm. Iv been to 3 or 4 now and they are great, just a small group of local RE professionals getting together to talk shop over beers. That would be a great place for you to find team members. Keep an eye out in the Oregon forum there is always a post in there leading up to the meetup.

- Grayson

@Grayson Graham Awesome! We've actually been here in Bend since 2013, but we are new to the real estate game! And yes - we would love to climb with you anytime. Have you gotten out to Smith yet? It's really a beautiful place to climb. 

We are certainly interested in talking about hard money with you. We are going to try to lock down some private funding if possible, but always open to other options and opportunities. And thank you for the bank recommendation. We will be looking into that and if we end up talking with Alan we will make sure to mention that you recommend him.

And yes! I'm interested in the BP meetup! @Karen Margrave mentioned it to us a couple days ago. I won't make the next few because I've got this home project in Colorado that I'm doing, but don't forget about us! We will plan to be there either late fall, winter, or early spring (whenever we make it back to Bend)!  

- Johnny

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you