Newbie excited to learn

14 Replies

Hello my name is Virginia I currently reside in Alameda, Ca  and I would like to start real estate investing close to home and out of state . I am interested in getting rentals in  Savannah, GA or anywhere I open to any locations that make sense.  I would also like to meet investors  I am new so I want to learn all there is to know.

@Virginia Lara Welcome! BP is a great place to be! I'd recommend start listening to the podcasts, attending webinars, and digging through the forums. There is really so much to learn on BP. You can't go wrong spending a little time each day trying to learn something new.

Best of luck!

@Virginia Lara Yes! Right now, I'm re-reading @Brandon Turner 's "The Book on Rental Property Investing". It's such a great book - especially as a beginner who want's to understand general real estate principles to help launch your investing career. And of course Robert Kiyosaki's "Rich Dad Poor Dad". That book will just get you pumped up about working hard, investing, and setting yourself up to have your money work for you instead of working for money.

Originally posted by @Virginia Lara :

@Marshall Leipprandt Thanks, I am learning little by little. Quick questions any good books you recommend  that you think might be helpful ?

A few of the biggerpockets.com books are all a fine place to start, with the 101 level stuff that everyone assumes you know anyways. There are also plenty of non-bp books on amazon that aren't already curated into a nice basic entry level collection if you want to mix it up and ensure you have diversity of input.

Good luck, and come upstairs to say hello next time you're at the Pacific Pinball Museum on Webster.

Hello my name is Virginia I currently reside in Alameda, Ca  and I would like to start real estate investing close to home and out of state . I am interested in getting rentals in  Savannah, GA or anywhere I open to any locations that make sense.  I would also like to meet investors  I am new so I want to learn all there is to know.

Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you!

Originally posted by @Chris Mason :
Originally posted by @Virginia Lara:

@Marshall Leipprandt Thanks, I am learning little by little. Quick questions any good books you recommend  that you think might be helpful ?

A few of the biggerpockets.com books are all a fine place to start, with the 101 level stuff that everyone assumes you know anyways. There are also plenty of non-bp books on amazon that aren't already curated into a nice basic entry level collection if you want to mix it up and ensure you have diversity of input.

Good luck, and come upstairs to say hello next time you're at the Pacific Pinball Museum on Webster.

Thank you much appreciate the advice. Will do since your so closed by! Thanks 

Hello fellow Alamedan, @Virginia Lara

My wife and I jumped into investing over the last few years. We started with a local property (Vallejo) after a focused effort of hunting and putting in offers. Made the jump to out-of-state investing, shortly after.

Happy to connect sometime and share learnings

Savannah GA investor and residence here. Is there is particular reason you would choose Savannah out of all places? I am willing to answer any questions you have about the city and its real estate market. 

@Virginia Lara hello and welcome to BiggerPockets!

BP is the ultimate real estate investing site around! There are so many cool and exciting things going on.

For starters, you have the free informative forums to read and learn about real estate.

Second, you can network with any real estate investor both new and experienced.

Third, you will learn how to get deals done the right way.

You have come to the right place, Virginia! I wish you all the best in your real estate investing career!

@Virginia Lara

Welcome to the BP family! Good to have you here! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

Wishing you the best!

@Brian Nasso Great, I am interested in Savannah, Ga. because I have family nearby  and  also the homes are more affordable than my market. 

One key thing is to check the crime map. We have a lot of crime here, so it is critical to find the blocks that are safe.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you