Newbie from Jacksonville, Florida

3 Replies

Hello Everyone, My name is Kyle Nelson and I have lived in Jacksonville my whole life. I have a relatively amateur level of experience with real estate. I have self educated myself quite a bit over the last few years but have no real experience. I aspire to own and manage rental property as well as flip/rehab house one day in the future as well. I have really good credit around 780 but don’t have a lot of cash saved up. I currently work as a retail department manager and am joining the police academy in January 2019 once I complete my bachelors degree in December this year. I’ve listened to BiggerPockets podcast for the last 3-4 years and heard about the website from a friend also interested in real estate.

Hello Kyle, David here.  Have you been looking at deals around there and find any you think would make good money?  I use to live in Jacksonville off University Dr.  What is holding you back if you have found one?  That good credit would certainly help get you financing.  If the deal is good enough you may consider hard money / private lender and pay a little more in interest, knowing you will only have it for a short time.   Do you plan on doing the work yourself, or hiring it out?  

I actually have not looked at any deals yet. I have to researching hard money and private loans but am hesitant I would get approved for anything due to my steady income being low. I live paycheck to paycheck. I defiantly plan on doing the deal and managing the property my self to get as much hands on experience as possible.

Welcome to the forums Kyle! Early congratulations on your graduation this year, and great job building your credit to that level. BP will definitely aid you in getting that first deal under your belt. Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you